Canadian Warplanes 2: Fairchild FC-24R
Fairchild F-24H Argus, RCAF (Serial No. 699). Flown out of Rockcliffe, Ottawa, Ontario from Nov 1940 until she was struck off strength in Dec 1942.
Fairchild FC-24R Argus, RCAF (Serial No. 4809). The Fairchild Model 24 is a four-seat, single-engine monoplane light transport aircraft designed by the Fairchild Aviation Corporation in the 1930s. It was adopted by the United States Army Air Corps as the UC-61, by the RCAF and by the Royal Air Force. Designed for operations from relatively unimproved grass airfields, the sturdy undercarriage construction used a vertical oil dampened cylinder above the wheel with a pivoting strut attached to the lower fuselage. The result was a complex but undeniably solid undercarriage that could absorb large amounts of shock and was also adapted for the fitting of twin floats for water-based operations. The sturdiness of construction of the aircraft has ensured many have survived to this day. Two Argus' were taken on strength by the RCAF. Argus (Serial No. 4809) served at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario from Nov 1940 until Oct 1945. The other Fairchild 24H, (Serial No. 699), was struck off strength in Dec 1942.
Fairchild FC-24R Argus, RCAF (Serial No. 4809),