German Luftwaffe Warplanes, 1939-1945: Junkers survivors
Axis Warplane Survivors, German Aircraft: Junkers
Axis Warplane Survivors, deutsche Flugzeuge: Junkers
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War that have been preserved. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at email@example.com.
Ziel dieser Website ist es, erhaltene Kampfflugzeuge aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg zu lokalisieren, zu identifizieren und zu dokumentieren. Viele Mitwirkende haben bei der Suche nach diesen Flugzeugen mitgewirkt, um die Daten auf dieser Website.bereitzustellen und zu aktualisieren. Fotos gelten als gutgeschrieben. Alle hier gefundenen Fehler sind vom Autor und Ergänzungen, Korrekturen oder Ergänzungen zu dieser Liste der Überlebenden des Zweiten Weltkriegs sind sehr willkommen und können per E-Mail an den Autor unter firstname.lastname@example.org gesendet werden.
Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber KGrzbV400, (H4+CH), ex-1.LLG1 ferrying supplies to North Africa 1942. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bombers. (Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-317-0053-18)
Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber, floatplane. Nine of these aircraft went to France after the war. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. 6840), captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM102, this aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1948.
Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. 6567), captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM103, this aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1948.
Junkers Ju52/3m, (Wk. Nr. 641038), Tante Ju, transport bomber, captured at Flensburg where it had been flown by Deutsche Luft Hansa (DLH) as D-AUAV. The Ju 52 was flown to Farnborough on 18 July 1945. Designated RAF AM104, this aircraft was scrapped at Woodley in 1948. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), Tante Ju, transport bomber, SAAF CQ-HH, captured in the Mediterranean Theatre and put into service with the SAAF. (SAAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 52/3m captured intact by the Australian forces at Ain-El Gazala, Libya. It was repainted with the Royal Australian Air Force’s roundels and nicknamed "Libyan Clipper", ca. 1943. (AWM Photos)
Junkers Ju 52, (Wk. Nr. J5283), "Tante Ju", transport bomber aka Junkers C-79, D-AENF, (Ju 52/3mGE), USAAF (Serial No. 42-52883), with American airmen. (USAAF Photo)
(Ra Boe Photo)
Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), D-AZAW, Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin. (Leif Orss Photo)
Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), built in 1936, initially registered as D-AQUI, later D-CDLH until 1984, known as "Iron Annie N52JU", re-painted as D-AQUI in historic 1936 colours as "Queen of the Skies", Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung's fleet. From 1932, the Junkers works and various licensees built almost 5000 airplanes that were to serve 30 airlines in 25 countries across the globe. Built at the Junkers works in Dessau, this Ju 52 embarked on her maiden flight in 1936. Initially in service with Lufthansa, she then spent almost 20 years alternating between Germany and Norway. 1955 saw her taken out of service in Norway. Too large for a museum in Oslo, she was sold to South America where she was flown in Ecuador from 1957 to 1963. Retired at Quito Airport, she was exposed to the elements, until an American flying enthusiast rescued her in 1969. Later on, spectators were able to admire "Aunt Ju", now known as "Iron Annie", at air shows across the States before it was purchased by Lufthansa in 1984 and painstakingly restored. D-CDLH has P&W engines with three-bladed propellers. (Lufthansa Photo)
Junkers Ju 86K-4 Fv 155, (Wk. Nr. 0860412), bomber reconnaissance, Swedish Air Force B3, preserved in the Flygvapenmuseum Malmen, Swedish Air Force Museum, Linkoping, Sweden. (Towpilot Photo)
Junkers Ju 86 in Luftwaffe service. (Luftwaffe Photos)
Junkers Ju 86R-1, (Wk. Nr. 5132) was captured at Fassberg. Designated RAF AM82, this aircraft crashed at Schleswig on 27 Aug 1945.
Junkers Ju 86P, (Wk. Nr. 0860291) was captured at Fassberg. Designated RAF AM118, this aircraft was scrapped at Schleswig.
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber formerly in Italian service in North Africa. Its pilot was forced to land behind British lines after running out of fuel. Of the ten aircraft forced to land only this one remained airworthy. (RAF Photo)
Captured Junkers Ju 87 Stuka in RAF markings, VZ-?. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka factory. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) painted as W8+A, on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford in 1970. This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945. No Air Ministry number was allocated. (RuthAS Photo)
Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford, painted as +JK. This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945. No Air Ministry number was allocated. (Kogo Photos)
The Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945 It is thought to have been built in 1943–1944 as a D-5 before being rebuilt as a G-2 variant, possibly by fitting G-2 outer wings to a D-5 airframe. After the war, it was one of 12 captured German aircraft selected by the British for museum preservation. In 1967, permission was given to use the aircraft in the film Battle of Britain and it was repainted and modified to resemble a 1940 variant of the Ju 87. The engine was found to be in excellent condition and there was little difficulty in starting it, but returning the aircraft to airworthiness was considered too costly for the filmmakers, and ultimately, models were used in the film to represent Stukas. In 1998, the film modifications were removed, and the aircraft returned to the original G-2 configuration. This aircraft has also been reported as Junkers Ju 87B, (Wk. Nr. 5763), RAF HK827. Junkers Ju 87B-1, (Wk. Nr. 087/5600), S2+LM from II./StG77 was reported as being on the scrap area at Farnborough in Dec 1946.
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive-bomber, coded S7+EP, captured in North Africa, 1943. (USAAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive-bomber (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured in North Africa, 1943. (USAAF Photo)
Captured Junkers Ju 87G with flame concealing exhaust, 3.7mm cannon, Salzburg, Austria, 1945.
Junkers Ju 87R2/Trop Stuka, dive-bomber, (Wk. Nr. 5954), on display in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, Illinois. This aircraft was abandoned in North Africa and found by British forces in 1941. The Ju 87 was donated by the British government and sent to the USA during the war. It was fully restored in 1974 by the EAA of Wisconsin.
Other Ju 87 survivors include a Junkers Ju 87 R-2, (Wk. Nr. 0875709) owned by the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington under a long-term restoration to fly. It served bearing theStammkennzeichen of LI+KU with 1./St.G.5, and was recovered to the United Kingdom in 1998 before being sold to the FHC. It is likely to be the best candidate for an airworthy restoration. Other Ju 87 aircraft survive as wreckage, recovered from crash sites.
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber, (Wk. Nr. unknown), one of two wrecks on display in the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin. These two complete aircraft wrecks were recovered from separate crash sites near Murmansk, Russia, in 1990 and 1994. The wrecks were purchased from New Zealand collector Tim Wallis, who originally planned for the remains to be restored to airworthy condition, in 1996. (Ra Boe Photos)
Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber, (Wk. Nr. unknown), wreckage preserved in the Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum in Germany. This aircraft crashed near Saint-Tropez in 1944 and was raised from the seabed in 1989. (LSDSL Photo)
In October 2006, a Ju 87 D-3/Trop. was recovered underwater, near Rhodes. Junkers Ju 87 B-2 9801, (Wk. Nr. 0406) is under reconstruction at Yugoslav Aeronautical Museum.
Junkers Ju 88, coded 3Z+H, in Luftwaffe service. (Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-417-1766-03A)
Junkers Ju 88A-6, (Wk. Nr. 6073), M2+MK of 2/KuFlGr. 106. RAF HM509, of No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft Circus) Flight based at Collyweston, Northamptonshire, parked in front of the hangars at Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, during the unit's 11th tour of operational stations giving flying demonstrations. Formerly of Kustenflieger 106, this aircraft fell into British hands on 26 November 1941 when its crew became disorientated following an abortive anti-shipping sortie in the Irish Sea and landed by mistake at Chivenor, Devon. HM509 joined No. 1426 Flight, then at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, on 11 December 1941, remaining with them until 26 July 1944, when it was struck off charge after being damaged in a ground loop at RAF Thorny Island on 19 May 1944. Though not seriously damaged, it was cannibalized for spares for other Ju 88s operated by the unit. It may have been painted yellow on its underside. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88A-1, (Wk. Nr. 7036), coded 9K+HL of 1/KG51, force-landed at Buckholt Farm on 28 July 1940 after running out of fuel. This aircraft was test flown in England as RAF AX919. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88A-5, (Wk. Nr. 3457), 4D+DL, from I./KG30, This aircraft landed in error at RAF Lulsgate Bottom on 23 July 1941. Designated RAF EE205, it was scrapped in early 1948. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3. Originally built as a Ju 88A-1 bomber in 1942, it was converted to R-1 standard early in 1943 for the night fighter role. In May 1943, a three-man crew was ordered to intercept an unarmed BOAC Mosquito courier flight from Leuchars, Scotland flying to Stockholm, Sweden. Two hours after their take-off, the aircrew of this aircraft defected to England, sending a fake message to their home base that they had a fire in the starboard engine. The bomber descended to sea level and dropped three life rafts to make the search parties think the aircraft had ditched at sea. The crew then few on to Scotland. The aircraft was a significant acquisition for the RAF as this aircraft was fitted with the most up to date FuG 202 Lichtenstein B/C radar installation. This aircraft was designated RAF PJ876 and underwent trials with the RAF Wireless and Electrical Flight section of No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight. It was acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3. Acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978. The antenna of the on this aircraft are replicas, as the entire radar system was removed from the aircraft for evaluation during the war. It had been preserved in the Royal Air Force Museum Hendon, London, but is currently located at Cosford while the Hendon location is being upgraded. (Dapi89 Photo)
Junkers Ju 88A-5, (Wk. Nr. 6214), V4+GS from III./KG1, designated RAF HX360 was only used for spare parts.
Junkers Ju 88G-1, (Wk. Nr. 712273), 4R+UR from III./NJG2, landed in error at RAF Woodbridge when it became lost on a flight and ran out of fuel on 13 July 1944. This aircraft was equipped with FuG220, FuG227 and FuG350 radars, making it an important intelligence find. Designated RAF TP190, later AM231, this aircraft was flown 33 flights before it was scrapped at Farnborough after Oct 1945. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88S-1, (Wk. Nr. 140604), RF+MT, designated RAF TS472. This aircraft is shown here with No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight at Collyweston, Northamptonshire, England, undergoing maintenance; Focke Wulf Fw 190A-3, RAF PN999, is undergoing an engine service while airmen re-paint the wings of TS472. This aircraft was scrapped post war. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622983), 4R+RB, I/NJG2, captured at Schleswig. Designated RAF AM1, this aircraft crashed at Foulsham on 12 Sep 1945.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620560) was captured at Schleswig. Designated RAF AM2, this aircraft was struck off charge on 30 Apr 1946.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620838) was captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM3, later VK884, this aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough in 1945. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 621965) captured at captured at Leck, Nordfriesland, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. Designated RAF AM9, later VL991, this aircraft was sent to Shoeburyness for ballistic trials.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620788) captured at Eggebek. Designated RAF AM14. This aircraft crashed at Tangmere on 18 July 1945.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622311) captured at Eggebek. Designated RAF AM16. This aircraft was scrapped in 1946. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 623193), with FuG 240 Berlin cavity magnetron radar in the nose, captured at Grove, Denmark in may 1945. This aircraft was designated RAF AM31, and is shown here at Farnborough in 1945. It was scrapped at Skellingthorpe in 1947. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622960), captured at Grove, Denmark. Designated RAF AM32. This aircraft crashed at Heston, England on 15 Oct 1945.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622186), captured at Grove, Denmark. Designated RAF AM33. This aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622461), captured at Kastrup. DesignatedRAF AM41. This aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620968), captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM47, this aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 628811), captured at Flensburg. Designated RAF AM48, this aircraft was scrapoed at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 88G-6/U, (Wk. Nr. 0660), captured at Lubeck, Germany. Designated RAF AM112, later VN874, this aircraft was scrapped at Gosport in 1947.
Junkers Ju 88G, (Wk. Nr. 620852), 4R+MB captured and flown by the RAF at Fassberg, but not allocated an Air Ministry number. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 88G, (Wk. Nr. 622138), captured and flown by the RAF at Fassberg, but not allocated an Air Ministry number. This aircraft was ferried to England, where it was likely scrapped.
Junkers Ju 88H-1, (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured and flown by RCAF No. 411 Squadron, marked DB. This aircraft was taken over post war and flown until it was likely grounded in 1946.
Junkers Ju 88A-4, (Wk. Nr. 4300227), captured at Foggia, Italy, in 1943. It was repaired by the men of the 86th Fighter Squadron and flown from Italy to Wright Field on 5 Nov 1943 by 86th Fighter Squadron Comanche pilots. USA FE-106, later FE-1599. It appeared in war bond drives, and was finally returned to Wright Field in the summer of 1945 after being superficially damaged in Los Angeles. It finally went to Freeman Field, Indiana, where it was used for spare parts until it was scrapped in 1946. (USAAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620116), NJG3, designated RAF USA 21, transferred by the British to the USA. Shipped to the USA it was designated USA FE-611, later T2-611. This aircraft was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1946. (Edgar Deigan Photos)
Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620116), NJG3, designated RAF USA 21, transferred by the British to the USA. Shipped to the USA it was designated USA FE-611, later T2-611. Shown here with radar installation. This aircraft was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1946. (USAAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650) initially came to the RAF via a defecting Romanian pilot who landed in Cyprus on 22 July 1943. RAF HK959 was flown to Egypt and transferred to the USAAF and flown to Wright Field, over the South Atlantic route on 14 Oct 1943. This aircraft was designated USA FE-105 and later FE-1598, and briefly USAAF (Serial No. 43-0650). This aircraft is now preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio. (USAAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650), USA FE-1598, with Fritz X bomb, preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio. (Goshimini Photo)
USS Savannah (CL-42), hit by a German Fritz X guided bomb off the coast of Salerno, Italy on 11 Sep 1943. (USN Photo)
Junkers Ju 90, bomber (prototype). (Luftwaffe Photos)
Junkers Ju 187, dive bomber (prototype)
Junkers Ju 188E-1. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 188 Rächer, bomber, in RAF markings, Italy, 1944/45. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 188 and Bf 109, captured near Erfurt, Germany in May 1945. A total of 110 Ju 188s were collected by the RAF, with 51 found in Germany, 19 in Denmark and 40 in Norway. 106 were destroyed and four were sent to England. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 188D-2, (Wk. Nr. 150245), captured at Grove, Denmark in May 1945. Designated RAF AM35, this aircraft was allocated by the British to the USAAF. It was shipped to the USA where it was designated USA FE-1597, later T2-1597. This aircraft was scrapped at Park Ridge ca. 1950.
Junkers Ju 188A-2, (Wk. Nr. 180485), captured at Sylt. Designated RAF AM45, this aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 188A-2, (Wk. Nr. 190327), captured at Lubeck. Designated RAF AM113, later VN143, this aircraft was scrapped at Gosport, England in 1947. (RAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 188A-1, possibly (Wk. Nr. 230776), captured at Beldringe, Denmark. Designated RAF AM108, this aircraft was scrapped at Sealand in 1948. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 188A-2, (Wk. Nr. 190327), captured at Lubeck, Germany. Designated RAF AM113, later VN143, this aircraft was scrapped at Gosport in 1947.
Junkers Ju 188, (Wk. Nr. 280032), F2+UN, captured and flown by the RAF at Fassberg, but not allocated an Air Ministry number. This aircraft was ferried to England, where it was likely scrapped.
Junkers Ju 287, heavy jet bomber (prototype). (Luftwaffe Photos)
Elements of the Ju 287 prototype were captured by the Soviet Union and a number of their aviation technicians were tasked to develop this aircraft from designs which included Ju 131 and 132 bombers, Ju 126 ground-attack aircraft (in documents they often were designated EF-131, EF-132, and EF-126, from Entwicklungs Flugzeug-"Experimental Aircraft"), Jumo 004 and Jumo 01 jet engines, and the Jumo 224 aircraft diesel engine. To fulfill these tasks, two large sections were set up at OKB-1-aircraft and engine. The aircraft section comprised 433 employees, including 276 designers and 157 people working in scientific research laboratories. There were 402 specialists in the engine section, 235 at the design bureau, and 167 at scientific research laboratories. In all, 2992 employees worked at the Dessau plant in May 1946, including 20 representatives of the USSR Ministry of the Aviation Industry. The unfinished Ju 287V-2 also became the foundation for the EF-131 prototype jet bomber. Since no drawings or test materials were found in Dessau, all the documentation had to be reconstituted. This delayed production somewhat but by January 1946 preparations for the assembly of a prototype example began. Some components (wing sections, in particular) were taken from the original Ju-287V-2 but most had to be redone. The work was labour intensive and therefore the decision was made to stop after the manufacture of three examples: two (V-l, V-3) for flight testing and one (V-2) for strength tests. In May wind tunnel tests of the airplane model began. Simultaneously, the operation of the power plant was tested on a specially made bench. By August 1946 the first EF-131 (V-l) was ready.
Development of the EF-140 began in 1947 as Baade's initiative and, after a mockup was inspected in 1948, the government approved the work. The second EF-131 flying prototype was used in building the aircraft and it sped up manufacturing. In September 1948 the machine was completely ready to fly. On 5 October during the second flight, some defects in engine operation were discovered. The so-called "automatic fuel flow meter" mounted on the AM-TKRD-01 engine was unsatisfactory and it proved very difficult to control engine thrust manually. The engine was spontaneously changing rpm and the aircraft jerked and rocked in flight. After the seventh sortie, flight-testing had to be stopped. In 1949 the engines were replaced and flights went on. On 24 May plant testing was completed. The aircraft reached a speed of 904 km/h and range of 2000 km. For some reason (possibly in connection with successful testing of the Tu-14 tactical bomber), no official testing of the EF-140 was conducted. Instead, in May 1948 OKB-1 was tasked to convert the plane into a long-range reconnaissance aircraft. This version was designated "140-R".
To obtain the required range (3600 km) and altitude (14,100 m), the aircraft was fitted with new more fuel-efficient VK-1 engines that V. Ya. Klimov designed (a modification of British Nene-1 turbojet engine). In addition, the wingspan was increased from 19.4 to 21.9 m and external fuel tanks were mounted on the wing tips, thus increasing total fuel capacity to 14,000 liters. The aircraft was armed with two remotely operated gun turrets with 23mm paired cannon. Targeting was carried out with the aid of periscope gun sights and the gun turrets were electrically operated. In case the upper gunner was killed or wounded, his turret could be connected with the lower turret gun sight and fire control system. The "140-R" was fitted with equipment for performing day and night reconnaissance (photo cameras, illuminating bombs, and so on) placed in the forward part of the cargo bay and aft fuselage.
The first flight of the "140-R" was made on 12 October 1949. On 20 October the aircraft took off for the second time. Both flights were interrupted due to excessive wing vibration and the aircraft was returned to the plant. Test flights resumed the next spring, after structural changes were made. The testing was stopped after the second flight on 24 March because the wing buffeting continued. TsAGI specialists were brought in to solve the problem. It was assumed that the flutter was caused by the wing-tip fuel tanks. On 18 July 1950 all work on the 140-R aircraft was stopped by government decree. The same decree canceled testing of the "140-B/R" variant that could be employed both as a reconnaissance aircraft and bomber. Baade's OKB had been tasked with developing it in August 1948. The aircraft differed from the "140-R" mainly in its having a different "filling". The fire control system was improved and the crew reduced to three. The plane was estimated to have a range of 3000 km, maximum speed of 866 km/h, ceiling of 12,000 m with a bomb load of 1500 kg, and a fuel capacity of 9400 liters. By the time the decree was issued, the aircraft had been built and partially ground tested. That was the last aircraft with a sweepforward wing in the USSR. After unsuccessful testing of the "140-R" reconnaissance aircraft, TsAGI specialists concluded that it was undesirable to use such a wing in aircraft manufacturing. Internet: http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ru/ju287.shtml.
Junkers Ju 290A-2 long-range bomber, (Wk. Nr. 110157), coded 9V+BK of 2/Fernaufklarungs-gruppe (FAGr)5. This aircraft was captured at Flensburg and flown to Farnborough on 21 Sep 1945 where it was assigned RAF AM57. It was one of the last German War Prize aircraft to be scrapped at Farnborough in 1946. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 290A-7, (Wk. Nr. 110186) captured at Flensburg was designated RAF AM6. This aircraft was scrapped at Brize Norton in 1947.
Junkers Ju 290, Salzburg, Austria. (USAAF Photo)
Junkers Ju 290A-4, (Wk. Nr. 110196), originally coded A3+HB of Kampfgeschwader 200 (KG 200), captured at Munich-Riem on 6 May 1945. Designated RAF USA 022, this aircraft was amed "Alles Kaput", and re-numbered USA FE-3400. It was flown across the Atlantic to Wright Field, Ohio, where it was scrapped in Dec 1946. (USAAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 388J-1 reconnaissance/night fighter. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Junkers Ju 388L-0 reconnaissance/night fighter, (Wk. Nr. 500006), coded PE+IF, captured at Tarnewitz. Designated RAF AM83, and flown by the RAF, this aircraft was scrapped at Cranfield, England, ca. 1950. (RAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 388L captured by the USAAF at the end of the war. (James Crow Photo)
Junkers Ju 388L-1 Störtebeker, (Wk. Nr. 560049), USA FE-4010, later T2-4010, at Freeman Field, Indiana, post war. This aircraft is currently stored in the Paul E. Garber Facility, Suitland, Maryland. (USAAF Photos)
Junkers Ju 388L-1, (Wk. Nr. 560049), FE-410, later T2-4010, Wright Field, 1946 victory display. The Ju 388 was introduced very late in the war, and production problems along with the deteriorating war conditions meant that only a few were built. (San Diego Air & Space Museum Photo)
Junkers Ju 388L, (Wk. Nr. 6010). Captured after the war, this aircraft was sent to the NII-VVS (Soviet Air Forces Scientific Research Institute), where it was flown as a tow-plane for a Kranich sailplane used for prone-pilot experiments. It was still in service in 1951.
Junkers Ju 288, Bomber B design competitor (prototype). (Luftwaffe Photos)