German Luftwaffe Warplanes, 1939-1945: Messerschmitt Bf 109
Axis Warplane Survivors, German Aircraft:
Messerschmitt Bf 109
Axis Warplane Survivors, deutsche Flugzeuge: Messerschmitt Bf 109
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War that have been preserved. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are as credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ziel dieser Website ist es, erhaltene Kampfflugzeuge aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg zu lokalisieren, zu identifizieren und zu dokumentieren. Viele Mitwirkende haben bei der Suche nach diesen Flugzeugen mitgewirkt, um die Daten auf dieser Website.bereitzustellen und zu aktualisieren. Fotos gelten als gutgeschrieben. Alle hier gefundenen Fehler sind vom Autor und Ergänzungen, Korrekturen oder Ergänzungen zu dieser Liste der Überlebenden des Zweiten Weltkriegs sind sehr willkommen und können per E-Mail an den Autor unter email@example.com gesendet werden.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F three flight formation in Luftwaffe service. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4/Trop, coded "Black 8", JG 27, operating from Libya, 1941. (Luftwaffe Photo)
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 was a Luftwaffe single-seat fighter manufactured by Bayerische FlugzeugWerk. This aircraft was flown by the majority of Luftwaffe air aces and was used to score more kills than any other Axis aircraft. More than 30,000 Bf 109 were produced and at least a dozen major variants were developed during and after the war.
Post war, in addition to the Spanish and Czechoslovakian Air Forces, both Finland and Switzerland continued to use the Bf 109 operationally until the late 1950s. The then-new nation of Israel purchased 25 Avia S-199s (23 delivered) when, due to being embargoed, it was unable to acquire aircraft from other sources. The Israel Air Force retired its aircraft in early 1949.
Between 1945 & 1948, most Bf 109s were scrapped or destroyed. Some examples were kept for use as war trophies or technical examples for further studies. For the next 23 years, these were the first generation of Bf 109 survivors.
In 1967, the producers of the movie Battle of Britain wanted a large and accurate group of aircraft for use onscreen. Fortunately, the Spanish Air Force was starting to retire its HA-1112s and an agreement was reached to use these aircraft. The Confederate Air Force (later renamed the Commemorative Air Force), had also just purchased numerous examples of the HA-1112. These aircraft were also leased for the production of this movie. For the next 35 years, these Spanish Bf 109s were the mainstay for numerous Second World War aviation movies and television work, including Hanover Street, Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen and Piece of Cake just to name a few.
Starting in late 1988, Bf 109s were among numerous crashed examples of Second World War aircraft still extant in Russia that were being recovered for restoration. Other examples of the early models of the Bf 109 have been found in crash sites in France and Italy (as well as several aircraft recovered where they had been buried in Germany). These aircraft with known combat histories are the foundation of the current wave of recovered/restored Bf 109s with further discoveries anticipated.
About twenty of the surviving Bf 109s that have survived served at one time with the Luftwaffe fighter wing Jagdgeschwader 5, more than with any other Axis military aviation unit that existed in the Second World War.
Bf 109 B-0/V-10a, (Wk. Nr. 1010). During excavation works at Oberschleißheim/Munich in 1989, a number of buried aircraft wrecks were discovered. One was a rarity from 1937, a Bf 109 B/V-10a. This aircraft is the oldest existing Bf 109, and is owned by the Bayerische Flugzeug Historiker, Reg. No. D-IAKO. The aircraft is being restored under the patronage of the Bayerischen Flugzeug Historiker e.V. Identification of the wreck had been difficult, but it was found to be 80% complete. Because of the damage to the aircraft’s Jumo 210 engine, it was given to the Deutsches Museum, while the restorers search for a more intact Jumo 210. The aircraft will likely be restored to static condition for display.
(Arun Sarup Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, (Wk. Nr. 790), coded "6-106", JG2/88, Condor Legion, Spanish Air Force C4E-106, <-+-, AJ+YM, 2804, is preserved in the Deutsches Museum in Munich, Germany. This aircraft was originally built as an E-1, and may be the oldest surviving Bf 109, as it was produced in 1939. It was flown by the 2./J88 in Spain with the Condor Legion, carrying the code 6 o 106. 790 remained in Spain after the Spanish Civil War, and was used by the Spanish Air Force, serving with a number of fighter squadrons until 1954. Spain transferred the aircraft to the Deutsches Museum at the request of Willy Messerschmitt in 1960 wearing the colours of JG 26, and was repainted with the code AJ+YH. In 1974, the aircraft was again repainted, and currently wears the markings of a Bf 109, flown by Werner Mölders during his time with the JG 51.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, (Wk. Nr. 854), Charleston Aviation Services, Colchester, England.
(NJR ZA Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1289), ex-SH + FA, ex-2/JG 26 (Schlageter), coded "Red 2", was delivered to JG 26 in 1939, coded as SH + EA, coded "Black 2". The aircraft crash-landed at Udimor, England and the unrestored remains are preserved in the South African Museum of Military History, Johannesburg, South Africa. Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1342), "Yellow 8", 6/JG51, G-BYDS, N342FH. This aircraft flown by Eduard Hemmerling crashed 29 July 1940. It has been extensively rebuilt and is under restoration in England by Charleston Aviation Services for the Flying Heritage Collection, Seattle, Washington. It was previously with the Alpine Deer Group, Wanaka, New Zealand.
Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1983), 5/JG 5, coded "Red ?", Charleston Aviation Services, Colchester, England.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3/A, (Wk. Nr. 2242), coded J-355, is preserved in Swiss markings and displayed in the Swiss Air Force Museum (Flieger Flab Museum), Dübendorf, Switzerland. This aircraft was produced in 1939 by Messerschmitt in Regensburg and delivered to Switzerland, where it served until 1948.
Bf 109E-1, (Wk. Nr. 3535), is stored with the Zalesky family, Surrey, British Columbia.
Bf 109E-1/B, (Wk. Nr. 4034), Reg. No. G-CDTI, 1/JG77, coded "Black 5" and "Black 6", was discovered in India carrying both markings. This aircraft took part in the Polish campaign. 4034 crashed 11 February 1940, and was taken from England to Hyderabad in 1940/41 where flights were conducted until it crashed again. This aircraft was found in a storage area of the Government of India in 1998, still standing on its own gear, wings mounted, but with the engine carriage broken away, the engine lying on the ground nearby and with the cowling and canopy missing. The wheels were later stolen and the wings were dismounted, but it was determined that the aircraft was restorable and has returned to England where it is being restored to airworthiness by Rare Aero Ltd, Jersey, England.
Bf 109E-1, (Wk. Nr. unknown), Spanish Air Force, C4E-88, Robs Lamplough, Hungerford, England.
Air Technical Intelligence
The air intelligence organization of the US Army Air Forces (USAAF) was built up from a small nucleus that existed at Wright Field, Ohio, before the entry of the United States into the Second World War. The Wright Field unit drew on the experience of the RAF, whose organization and procedures had been studied in detail by USAAF personnel.
The first Axis aircraft to be flown at Wright Field in the USA was the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 (Wk. Nr. 1304), RAF AE479, acquired by the RAF in May 1940. Transferred by the RAF to the USAAF in January 1942, this aircraft arrived at Wright Field in May 1942.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1304), coded "White 1" before being painted with RAF roundels and designated AE479. (RAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1304), coded "White 1" from JG76, RAF AE479. This aircraft was acquired by the RAF in May 1940. It was transferred by the RAF to the USAAF in January 1942. Phil Butler, War Prizes, p. 12.
During the Second World War, the most active practitioner of ATI was probably the United Kingdom. The first Luftwaffe aircraft flown and evaluated by the British was a Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1304), RAF AE479, coded "White 1" of JG76, that made a forced landing at Woerth in the Bas-Rhin Department of France on 22 November 1939.
AE479 was studied and flown by the French and then given to the British in May 1940. It was promptly ferried to Boscombe Down, England on 3 May 1940, and assigned to Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) Farnborough on 14 May, where it was flown and tested extensively. In 1942 it was transferred to the US Army Air Forces (USAAF) and on 7 April 1942 it was shipped to the United States on board the SS Drammesfjord, consigned to Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio. It arrived there on 14 May 1942, but was damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Cambridge, Ohio, on 3 November 1942.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 4101), coded "Black 12" from I./JG51, RAF DG200, in flight while serving with No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight. This aircraft force-landed at Manston, Kent, on 27 November 1940, after being attacked by Supermarine Spitfires of No. 66 Squadron RAF over the Thames estuary. After repair at the Royal Aircraft Establishment it was delivered to Rolls-Royce Ltd at Hucknall in February 1941 for engine performance tests. On 8 February 1942 it was passed to the Controller of Research and Development at Hatfield for propeller tests before going on to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down, and, in March 1942, to No. 1426 Flight at Duxford and later Collyweston. In 1943, DG200 was put into storage, eventually moving to St Athan in 1969 for refurbishment. Once restored to its wartime paint scheme, it moved to the Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon in 1976, where it is presently on display in the Battle of Britain Hall. DG200 is seen here being flown without its cockpit canopy, which was removed (and never replaced) while the aircraft was at Hucknall to enable Wing Commander J.H. Heyworth, a Rolls Royce test pilot who was very tall, to fit into the cockpit. This aircraft is now on display in the RAF Museum, Hendon. (RAF Photos)
(Hugh Llewelyn Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4/B, (Wk. Nr. 4101), coded "Black 12", operated by I/JG51. This aircraft force landed at Manston, Kent, on 27 Nov 1940. It was repaired and flown as RAF DG200 at Hucknall. Later on. it appeared in the Battle of Britain film before being displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum at RAF St Athan (1969-1978). It is currently on display in the RAF Museum at Hendon, England.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4/N, (Wk. Nr. 1190) coded "White 4", 4/JG26 originally built as an E-3, is in the Imperial War Museum, London. In September 1940, 1190 was based at Marquise-Est and belonged to 4/JG 26, coded White 4, when it was shot down above Beachy Head. The pilot, Horst Perez, managed to belly-land his airplane and survived. (Wk. Nr. 1190) was initially transferred to Farnborough, but was later exhibited in Canada and the USA. The aircraft returned to Britain in 1968 in fairly dilapidated condition. Privately it was partly restored and since 2000 has been displayed in a crash-landing scene at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.
(Ricardo Reis Photos)
(Ra Boe Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, (Wk. Nr. 1407), 14/JG77, coded "Red 5", previously "Black 2", 5/JG77. Originally built as an E-3 by Erla Maschinenwerke GmbH Leipzig and was delivered to the Luftwaffe on 28 November 1939 to II./JG 77, operating in Norway. 1407 was shot down in air combat on 17 July 1941 in the vicinity of Murmansk, on the Kola peninsula, although the pilot was able to make an emergency landing on a lake and survived. The aircraft sank when the ice melted and remained in the water until the wreck was salvaged in 1993. After its recovery, a red “5” was found on the right side of the fuselage, but also a Black 2 was coded on the left side, indicating the aircraft was used by more than one unit. The aircraft was registered as "Red 5" when flown with II/JG 77,until she was damaged during a forced landing at Hiltra airfield near Drontheim, Norway on 27 October 1940. The plane was repaired and put back in service as ‘Black 2’ with the II/ JG 77 until shot down in 1941. The Bf 109 was restored in Hungary and is now on display in the new aviation hall of Deutsches Technik Museum in Berlin.
Bf 109E-4, (Wk. Nr. 4853), 2/JG 51, wreck on display at the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Hawkinge, England.
Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 1983) coded "Red ?", 5/JG5, is being restored to flying condition by Charleston Aviation Services in the UK, for a German client. It incorporates parts of Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 0854).
Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 2023) coded "Black 9", 8/JG5 is a rebuilt aircraft using parts from several airframes. It was recovered from the Murmansk area in Russian and is now with the Fighter Factory, Suffolk, Virginia. A substantial portion of this aircraft was part of a Bf 109 built in 1939 as an E-3 and later converted to a Bf 109E-7 with a long-range tank. The aircraft was shot down near Murmansk on 27 May 1943, and the pilot, Obfw Walter Sommer, was listed as missing. It is being restored by the Fighter Factory, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Bf 109E-3 (previously E-7), (Wk. Nr. 3285) coded "Black 12", 4/JG5, ex-"White 4", ex-"Yellow 2", ex-"Green <", is preserved in the Finnish Air Force Museum, Tikkakoski.
Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 3523) coded "Red 6", CS+AJ, 5./JG5, originally built as an E-1, in 1939 at Arado Warnemünde, and was later upgraded in 1940 to an E-7. The aircraft was flown by Leutnant Wulf-Dietrich Widowitz, when he had to belly-land it on 4 April 1942 near Petsamo, after an engine failure. The plane sank after the landing. Widowitz died more than a year later during another crash-landing. This aircraft was recovered from a lake in Russia by Jim Pearce and taken to Sussex, England in 2003.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, (Wk. Nr. 1342) 6./JG51, coded "Yellow 8". This aircraft flown by Eduard Hemmerling was shot down on 29 June 1940. It was discovered in 1988 off Cape Blanc Nez, Normandy, France, and restored at Charlston Aircraft. It is on display with the Flying Heritage Collection, Paine Field, Everett, Washington, Reg. No. N342FH.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F, (Wk. Nr. unknown) captured in North Africa. This aircraft was given South African Air Force markings and serial "KJ-?", on the airfield at Martuba No. 4 Landing Ground in North Africa, January 1943. It was operated by No. 4 Squadron, SAAF.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F, (Wk. Nr. unknown), coded GL-?, captured in North Africa.
Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 3579) coded "White 14", (J)/JG-2, ex-"White 7", 4/JG77, Reg. No. CF-EML, was privately owned by the Russell Group based at St Catherines, Ontario. Originally built as an E-1 and later modified to E-7, this aircraft is airworthy. Wk. Nr. 3579 may be the oldest flying Bf 109. Previously owned by David Price, the director of Museum of Flying in Santa Monica, this aircraft was produced by Arado. During the war, it was initially flown by Lehrgeschwader 2, operating with JG 77, and at least one unconfirmed report claims it was flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille. Wk. Nr. 3579 was lost on 2 September 1940, but was repaired and transferred to the Eastern Front, where it was again shot down. In 1991 the wreckage was recovered and transported to the UK, along with other wreckage. Wk. Nr. 3579 is painted in the same markings it carried during its first crash in September 1940, coded "White 14". The Canadians acquired it at the end of 2003. Bf 109 E-7, (Wk. Nr. 3579) has been sold to a collector in England.
Bf 109E-7, (Wk. Nr. 5975) coded "Yellow 4", 6/JG5, is preserved in the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, Savannah, Georgia. This aircraft was recovered in the Murmansk area of Russia after being shot down on 10 May 1942. It was donated to the museum by Warplane Recovery, Bloomfield, Colorado.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2, (Wk. Nr. 12764), from 2./JG26, was shot down near St Margaret’s Bay, Dover, after combat with Supermarine Spitfires on 10 July 1941. Designated RAF ES906, this aircraft was repaired and test flown at Farnborough. It crashed on 20 Oct 1941 and was struck off charge (SoC). (RAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7232), coded "White 11", from IV./JG26, RAF NN644. This aircraft was flown by No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft Circus) Flight based at Collyweston, Northamptonshire, England. Although painted in RAF colours, the aircraft retains the "White 11" and bomb symbol markings of its former Luftwaffe unit. It was scrapped post war. (RAF Photos)
Messerschmitt Bf 109F
The Messerschmitt Bf 109F was powered by a Daimler-Benz 601E liquid cooled inverted V12 with 1,300-hp. It had a wing span of 32’6½”, a length of 29’½”, and a height of 8’6”. It weighed 4,330 lbs empty and 6,054 lbs with maximum load. It had maximum speed of 390-mph at 22,000’; a maximum rate of climb of 3,320 feet per minute; a range of 440 miles; and a service ceiling of 37,000’. It was armed with one 15-mm MG 151 mounted between cylinder heads and firing through the propeller hub with 200 rpg; and two 7.9-mm MG 17 mounted above the engine with 500 rpg.
Captured Messerschmitt Bf 109F, coded EY, RAF.
A number of Bf 109F models survive, including:
Bf 109F in parts with a Canadian collector, previously stored at the University Technical Facility in Kharkow, Ukraine.
Bf 109F-1 wreckage in Ailes Anciennes Marseille – Escadrille Pegase, possibly under restoration by Paul Coggan in France.
(NJR ZA Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 31010), coded "White 6", JG27, South African National Museum of Military History, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Bf 109F-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. unknown), coded "White 2", 1./JG 27. This aircraft was captured on an airfield in 1942, but due to the ravages of time and souvenir hunters, little is known about it. The unrestored remains are preserved in the South African Museum of Military History, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7108) coded "NE+ML", 9/JG5 is in the Central Finland Aviation Museum, Tikkakoski, Finland.
Bf 109F-4 coded TI+LA, (Wk. Nr. unknown) is in the Central Finland Aviation Museum, Tikkakoski, Finland.
Bf 109F-4 coded JG5 (?) is privately owned near Brussels, Belgium. This Erla-built aircraft was recovered from Russia with some parts missing, but is under restoration for static display.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7485) coded "Black 1", 9/JG5 with Charleston Aviation, Essex, England.
Bf 109F-4/Z, (Wk. Nr. 7504) coded "White 10", 3/JG3 is under restoration to flying status in Russia. At the end of the war, Stalin ordered all captured Luftwaffe aircraft to be destroyed, therefore very few remain. 7504 was produced in December 1941 at Wiener-Neustadt Flugzeugwerke, and later entered service with 3./JG 3 coded as "White 10". It was flown by Feldwebel Rudolf Berg, with a record of 17 aerial victories. On 28 March 1942, White 10 was hit in the cockpit, killing the pilot, and crashed from a low-level altitude into a bog at Perfino near Novgorod. The local people buried Feldwebel Berg as an unknown pilot. 7504 was recovered in 1997 by the ARG Company and bought by Andrey Usov in 2002. A search is underway for a DB 601E engine, new wings are being made in Moscow, and the aircraft may be restored to airworthy condition.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 8347) coded "Yellow 10", 6/JG54, with Charleston Aviation, Essex, England.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 8461), 5/JG 27, being restored by Malcolm Laing, Texas.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 8993) coded "Yellow 3", 9/IIIJG5, White 2, JG54, 2/JG3, GC+KQ, initially built as an F-2, previously with Mike Walton has been sold to a new owner in Germany for restoration.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4/Z, (Wk. Nr. 10132), coded "CD+LZ", 2./JG 5, Stab II./JG 54, is on display in the Canada Air and Space Museum, Ottawa, Ontario. This aircraft incorporates parts of (Wk. Nr. 26129). (Wk. Nr. 10132) was allocated to JG 5 in May/June 1942, where it was assigned to Hauptmann Horst Carganico, an air ace with 15 victories serving with 6. /JG 5. On 8 August 1942, his aircraft was hit in the fuselage, wings and the oil cooler by gunfire during an air battle above the Arctic port of Murmansk in the former Soviet Union, causing him to make an emergency landing on enemy territory. Carganico was rescued by a crew flying a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch. The Soviets recovered (Wk. Nr.10132), and sent it to the “Museum of the North” in Severomorsk. In 1995, the Russians sold the plane to Aero Vintage Ltd. in England, where it was restored in its original colours. The restoration team made the decision to preserve the aircraft’s historical integrity, and thus the original bullet holes were not repaired and remain visible. One of the bullet hits is visible on one of the propeller blades for example. On 9 June 1999, the plane was transferred to Canada by Canadian Forces aircraft and delivered to the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa, where it was reassembled and put on display. CASM. (Author Photos)
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 10144), coded "Yellow 7", 6/JG5, will be restored to airworthiness by Air Assets International of Lafayette, Colorado, and Bob Hammer LLC (Me 262 Project) of Everett, Washington. This aircraft was formerly with Warplane Recovery, Bloomfield, Colorado, and had been flown by Fw. Albert Brunner, a 53 victory Ritterkrueztrager, who crashed on 5 September 1942.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 10212), JG 5, Air Assets International, Lafayette, Colorado. The aircraft consists of wings and parts.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 10256) coded Stab 11/JG5. This aircraft is to be restored to airworthiness by Air Assets International of Lafayette, Colorado, and Bob Hammer LLC (Me 262 Project) of Everett, Washington. It was formerly with Warplane Recovery, Bloomfield, Colorado, and is in parts.
Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 10276) Air Assets International, Lafayette, Colorado, in parts.
Bf 109F-4 (replica) is on display at the Moscow Central Museum of the Great Patriotic War, Russia. This aircraft is a 1:1 scale replica without any original parts. It is painted in the markings of JG3 “Udet”.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 15270), ex 6./JG53 Yellow 1, captured at Comiso, Italy, Summer 1943. Evaluated by RAF at Collyweston in 1944, RAF Reg. No. VX101. This aircraft crashed on 19 May 1944, and was used for spare parts after its landing accident.
The RAF conducted a number of flight tests on captured examples. RAF VX101 was test flown at war’s end by RCAF S/L Joe McCarthy with the Royal Aircraft Establishment‘s Foreign Aircraft Flight at Farnborough, UK.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3222844)
RCAF Personnel with a captured Messerschmitt Bf 109, 1945.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. unknown), Jagdgeschwader 3 (JG 3 Udet), captured by the USSR and placed in Soviet Air Force service. (Soviet Air Force Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2, (Wk. Nr. 9209) was captured by Soviet forces on 22 Feb 1942 when Ober-Lieutnant A. Niss, Commander of JG51 Squadron's 8th Detachment was shot down near Tushino Airfield. This aircraft was tested at the Soviet Scientific research Institute. During the trials, Institute specialists simulated aerial combat between a Bf 109F and a Russian Yak-1 (Serial No. 0511), and worked out recommendations for Red Army Air Forces flight personnel. The aircraft is shown here in Soviet markings in March 1942. (Soviet Air Force Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/R-6, (Wk. Nr. 13903) was captured near Stalingrad by the Soviets in late autumn 1942, repaired and test flown from 25 December and flown against Soviet aircraft in early January 1943. The photo shows a Soviet pilot in the cockpit of Bf 109G-2/R-6, (Wk. Nr. 13903),being tested in the Soviet Union using the designation "Five-Pointer". (Soviet Air Force Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf109F-4/Z, (Wk. Nr. 7504), 7./JG 3, coded "White 10" (pilot Fw. Rudolf Berg) - crashed 28 March 1943. Stored in Russia.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 13427), 9./JG 5, coded "Yellow 2". Stored in Russia.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14513), JG 3. This aircraft was shot down on 19 Mar 1943 near Gostyanka. It was repaired and taken to the the NII-VVS (Soviet Air Forces Scientific Research Institute), where it was flown in April 1943. Its final fate is unknown.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4, (Wk. Nr. 7640), USAAF EB-1, later EB-100. This aircraft was presented to the USA by the USSR in November 1942 as a goodwill gesture after a visit to Moscow by Wendell Wilkie, the US Secretary of State. It arrived at Eglin AFB, Florida on 21 March 1944, where it was flown on a number of test flights.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-14/AS of the Croatian air force after it surrendered in Italy, marked with an American flag.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G, red outline on star and bar.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2 “Gustav”, (Wk. Nr. 14329 or 14629), coded "Black 14" from 2(H)14 before it was painted in USAAF markings X8-7 and the name “Irmgard” painted in Germanic lettering on the side. This aircraft was captured by airmen of the 87th FS, 79th Fighter Group, and shipped to the USA where it was used for structural tests before being scrapped.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2 “Gustav”, (Wk. Nr. 14329 or 14629), coded "Black 14" from 2(H)14 before and after it was painted in USAAF markings X8-7 and the name “Irmgard” (named after the German crew-chief’s girlfriend) painted in Germanic lettering on the side. This aircraft was captured by airmen of the 87th Fighter Squadron, 79th Fighter Group, and shipped to the USA where it was used for structural tests before being scrapped.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 16416), coded "White 9", USAAF EB-102. This fighter was captured intact by American soldiers on 8 May 1943 at Soliman airfield in Tunisia. It flew with Luftwaffe 4. Staffel of JG 77. The aircraft was disassembled, shipped to the USA, reassembled by the North American Aircraft company, and subsequently flown to Wright Airfield, Ohio. This aircraft was scrapped in Oct 1944.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G survivors:
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 10394), 6/JG 5, coded "Yellow 2", flown by Fw Erwin Fahldieck, who crashed on 29 April 1943. Being restored by Malcolm Laing, Texas.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 10438) coded "Blue 1, 7/JG54 is a wreck recovered in Russia (no further information).
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 10639), coded "Black 6", captured by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in Libya, later coded CV-V, RAF RN228. (RAAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 10639), originally coded "Black 6", RAAF CV-V, RAF RN228. (RAAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 10639), ex-RAAF CV-V, RAF RN228. (RAF Photos)
(Mike Freer, Touchdown-aviation Photos)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 10639), coded "Black 6" from III./JG77, RAF RN228, is with the RAF Museum, Hendon. 10639, was produced in September or October 1942 at Erla in Leipzig, and entered service with the Luftwaffe on 13 October 1942, coded as PG + QJ. Eight days later it was transferred to 8./JG 27, coded as "Black 6". During air combat over the African desert, 10639 was damaged by a Curtis P-40E Warhawk. The Bf 109’s pilot, Heinz Lüdermann, landed at Gambut, where the plane was captured by the RAAF and coded CV-V by Flying Officer McCrae on 13 November 1942. 10639 was shipped to Liverpool one year later, and was test flown from February 1944 and November 1945. It was stored until 1953, then briefly displayed. In 1961 an initial restoration was attempted but later cancelled. A second restoration began in 1972 and with the support of a number of European companies, the project was successfully completed in the 1990s. Black 6 performed in a number of air shows before suffering heavy damage in a crash at Duxford on 21 October 1997. Although the fighter was restored to airworthy condition, the fighter will not be flown again, and on 9 March 2000 it was presented to the RAF Museum at Hendon.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 at Treviso Airfield, Italy, in March 1946. This aircraft, a former Croatian operated 109, was captured by the British and operated by No. 318 Polish Squadron in Italy immediately after the war. Note the Polish checkerboard symbol on the nose. The “LW” lettering was the RAF Squadron code for 318 Squadron. 318 was at Treviso for only one week in the month of May 1945, and then from March to August of 1946. (RAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/U2, (Wk. Nr. 412951), coded "White 16" of I./JG 301, RAF TP814. This aircraft was captured when its pilot, Lt. Horst Prenzel, Staffelkapitan of JG 301, landed at RAF Manston by mistake, following a Wilde Sau (Wild Boar) sortie over the invasion area against night bombers on 21 July 1944. Another Bf 109 also attempted to land with him, but crashed. (RAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/U2, (Wk. Nr. 412951), coded "White 16", with RAF markings applied and designated RAF TP814. Wilde Sau (Wild Boar) was a Luftwaffe term used to describe the tactics by which British night bombers were mainly engaged by single-seat fighter aircraft. TP814 was written off in a takeoff accident at RAF Wittering near Stamford, Lincolnshire, on 23 November 1944. (RAF Photos)
(Renato Spilimbergo Carvalho Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14256), coded "Yellow 14", a new build airframe with original wings of an unknown airframe. It is on display in the Museu Asas de um Sonho, (Wings of a Dream Museum), São Carlos, Brazil.
Bf 109G, (Wk. Nr. unknown), is under assembly at the Museu Asas De Um Sonho, Brazil. This aircraft is constructed with a newly-built fuselage and has been fitted with original wings from an unknown aircraft.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. unknown ) coded "Yellow 2", 9/JG5 is damaged but up for sale in Russia.
Bf 109G-2/R1, (Wk. Nr. 13470) coded CI+KS, 8/JG 5, coded "White 4", is in the Norsk Luftfarts Museum in Bodö, Norway. Being restored with parts from other aircraft.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 13500), II/JG unknown, coded "Red 4", being restored in the USA, location TBD.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 13605) coded "Yellow 12" is currently under restoration in the south of Germany with parts recovered from Russia in 2003. It had been flown by 208 victory ace Oberleutnant Heinrich Ehler, Captain and later Kommodore of JG 5, who was shot down on 21 June 1943 east of Babjesero. The pilot bailed out during a dogfight at the Murnau-railway track, although he may have been downed by Russian anti-aircraft guns. Markings for 98 aerial victories are still visible on the tail. The aircraft apparently overturned during the crash. Ehler died on 4 April 1945 after he rammed an enemy bomber while serving with JG 7. His aircraft was found in Russia and recovered by Jim Pearce, who is restoring an Fw 189. The aircraft is in Germany, where it will be restored by Flugwerk.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 13927) coded "Yellow 6", being restored in the USA, TBC.
Bf 109G-1/R2, (Wk. Nr. 14141 coded "Black 6", 2/JG5, DG+UF, is in the Flyhistorisk Museum, Sola, Norway. Feldwebel Gärtner took 14141 up for a check flight from Sola airfield on 11 October 1943. He experienced an engine fire and force landed at sea, where he was rescued. The aircraft sank, and remained in the water until 15 November 1988. Today the plane is back at Sola, where it will be restored for the Flyvehistorisk Museum.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14658) coded "Yellow 2", 6/JG5, KG+WF, has been restored as a Bf 109F and is in the Museum of the Air Forces of the Northern Fleet, Severomorsk, Russia.
Bf 109G-2/Trop, (Wk. Nr. unknown) coded "White 3", I/JG27, painted as (Wk. Nr. 14753), not its original Werk Nummer, as that number was originally allocated to a Bf 109G-2 delivered to Finland. It has a new-built fuselage and tail, and is preserved in the Luftfahrtmuseum Hannover-Laatzen, Germany. (Wk. Nr. 14753) was flown in Africa and later in southern Italy, near Naples. During a raid against an allied bomber formation, it was damaged and had to make a crash-landing in the sea near Sardinia. The aircraft was recovered in 1988 at Puerto Carello, restored in the museum work-shop and in 1992 placed on display in the colours of JG 27.
(Marko M Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14792), coded GJ + QJ, ex-Yugoslavian AF 9663 "63". This aircraft is preserved in the Yugoslavian Aviation Museum, Belgrade, Serbia.
Bf 109G-2/R3, (Wk. Nr. 14792) coded 9663, GJ+QJ, is in the Muzej Yugoslovenskog Vazduhplovsta (Yugoslavian Aviation Museum), Belgrade, Yugoslavia. The aircraft is equipped with a G-4 cowling and G-6 wings. 14792 was originally delivered to Bulgaria, but after the war it flew for the Yugoslavian Air Force.
Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14798) coded "Black 10", 8./JG5, GJ+QP, VH-EIN, was privately owned by David Price in Australia, then Christopher Kelly, Seaforth. This aircraft was recovered from Russia.
Bf 109G-2 coded Black 1, DL+HA is with a private owner in the USA, some parts missing.
Bf 109G-5, (Wk. Nr. 15343) coded "Black 11", 5/JG53, is with the Aviation Museum at Seppe, Breda, in the Netherlands. This aircraft was shot down on 4 Dec 1943, crashing near Moerkappele in the Netherlands.
(Petr Kadlec Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4, (Wk. Nr. 19310), BH + XN, ex 4./JG 52, coded "White 3", "Nesthäkchen". This aircraft is in the Technik Museum, Speyer, Germany. (Wk. Nr. 19310) is the only known surviving Bf 109G-4. It was built late in February or early March 1943 at Wiener Neustadt. BH + XN is the original marking in which it was delivered to 4./JG 52, where it was registered as White 2, painted with a red heart and given the nickname “Nesthäkchen”. On 20 March 1943, Oberleutnant von Coester was forced to ditch on the Black Sea due to a damaged engine on the Black Sea. He died in the crash, and the aircraft sank. 19310 was recovered in 1977 and stored outdoors until the 1990s, when it was purchased by a Canadian. The aircraft was moved to Milan, Italy, where restoration was completed using parts from other aircraft. On 9 October 1999, “Nesthäkchen” was put on display. The Traditionsgemeinschaft JG 52 borrowed the aircraft for one year and placed it on display at Speyer. The Museum and the Traditionsgemeinschaft raised the funds to purchase 19310, thus keeping it in Germany, which took place in late 2003.
Bf 109G-5/G-6, (Wk. Nr. 15458), JG5, is with Charleston Aviation, Essex, England.
Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 15678) coded "Brown 7", 9/JG54, is in parts (fuselage only) at the Atlantic Wall Museum and the DARE recovery team in the Netherlands.
Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 26129) coded "Black 3", 11/JG54, RV+IS, is with the Association Aeronautique Provencal Victor Tatin, France. Parts have been retrieved from Russia and the aircraft is being restored.
Bf 109G-6 cockpit section rebuilt with original parts by Norsk Luftfarts Museum in Bodö, Norway, on loan to the Grenselandsmuseet, Kirkenes, Norway.
(Alan Wilson Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, Wk. Nr. 411768), ex-FN+RX, ex-RW+ZI, ex-II./JG 5, coded "Black 1", rebuilt from a crash site. This aircraft is displayed in the Vadim Zadorozhny Technical Museum, Arkangelskoye, Moscow, Russia.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10, (Wk. Nr. 151591), coded "Red 2+~", 1st Staffel, Nachtjagergeschwader 11, Reg. No. D-FDME, reconstructed with original Bf 109 parts and wings from a Spanish-built HA-112-M1, with the Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany.
Bf 109G-10, (Wk. Nr. 151591) coded "Black 2", D-FDME is with the EADS/Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany. This aircraft was modified to Bf 109G-10 configuration in 1991 by owner Hans Dittes using a Spanish HA 1112 Buchón and possibly parts of an original Bf 109 G-10 (Black 2). The restoration used an engine, cowling and some other parts, possibly smuggled from the Czech Republic. The cowling may have been produced in Regensburg or Wiener Neustadt, and the brand new DB 605 D-1 engine was apparently discovered in an old factory. The aircraft was restored in the markings of former Bf 109 pilot Friedrich Karl Müller, also known as “Nasenmüller”. The aircraft was registered as "Black 2", I./NJG 11 (Serial No. 151591) and coded D-FEHD, and made its first flight in 1992 at Mannheim. That same year, "Black 2" was transferred to Duxford, from where took part in a number of air shows. Black 2 returned to Germany in 1996, where it is visited many air shows in the world. In 1996, it returned to Germany, now registered at D-FDME. The aircraft was damaged on 24 June 1998, and did not fly again until 18 November 2000. It was damaged again on 17 April 2003, but will be repaired.
(Edgar Deigan Photo)
Possibly Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6, (Wk. Nr. 160163), coded 2+1, USA FE-496, post war with the swastika painted in reverse. If this is 160163, it is now on display in the National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.
( Concord Photos)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6, (Wk. Nr. 160163), coded 2+1, USA FE-496, on display in the National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.
Bf 109G-6/R3, (Wk. Nr. 160756) originally coded "Yellow 4", 3/JG4, KT+LL, is in the NASM in the USA, painted as White 2, III./JG27 (Wk. Nr. 160163). During a transfer flight, leading from Maniago to Gedi in Italy, the pilot, Unteroffizier Rene Darbois, left his formation and landed at Santa Maria, where he handed over his aircraft to the Allied forces. Considerable restoration work was conducted on this aircraft between 1972 and 1974, but its true identification (documents and the type-plate) was not discovered until 1997. The NASM’s Bf 109G-6 is one of 21,000 of this model which were completed by the end of 1944. Known as “Gustav,” the museum’s Bf 109G fighter was shipped to the United States with a number of other Luftwaffe aircraft near the end of the war for evaluation. It was stripped of all its unit markings and camouflage; even its serial number was eradicated. The FE-496 number assigned to it by the Air Technical Intelligence Command while operating at Wright and Freeman Field was its only identity. The Messerschmitt was transferred from the Air Force to the NASM in 1948 along with a group of other the Second World War aircraft which were stored at O’Hare Field, Illinois. Later, the collection was moved to the museum’s storage facility at Silver Hill, Maryland, near Washington, D.C. As of April 1974 the aircraft had been totally restored inside and out, carrying the selected camouflage and markings of ship number 2 of the 7th Squadron. 3rd Group, 27th Wing that operated in the Eastern Mediterranean in late 1943. As an escort fighter, it carries the two-tone grey camouflage pattern design. This Bf 109G-6 is one of the best preserved and most completely and accurately restored Messerschmitt fighters in the world today.
(Diego bf109 Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 163306), coded RQ + DR, coded “Red 3”, ex JGr. West, crashed into a lake near of Gebbert (today Jaworz) airbase during a transfer flight on 28 May 1944, causing the death of its pilot Feldwebel Ernst Pleines. The aircraft belonged to Jagdgruppe West. 163306 was recovered from Lake Trzebun near Danzig in June 1999 by the Polish aviation foundation “Polish Eagles.” It is now located at Fundacja Polskie Orly, sometimes displayed in the Muzeum Lotnictwa, Polskiego, Krakow, Poland.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/U4, (Wk. Nr. 163824), NF+FY. No Air Ministry number was allocated to this aircraft. This Bf 109 was built as a G-6 with standard canopy in autumn 1943 by Messerschmitt in Regensburg, in March 1944 it was converted into a G-6/AS with ERLA-canopy and, after battle damage, rebuilt as a G-6/U4 in late 1944. It is now on display in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia. (Australian War Memorial Photo, P05491 001)
(Brendan Cowan Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/U4, (Wk. Nr. 163824), NF+FY. This aircraft was captured by the allied forces towards the end of the Second World War and in 1946 it was located at an RAF Maintenance Unit, in Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. This aircraft (and a Messerschmitt 163 Komet) were sent to Australia not long after the war as a gift from Britain in recognition of Australia's contribution to the air war in Europe during the Second World War. A small painted inscription below the canopy indicates that it was refurbished in December 1944 (possibly at Munster) with the starboard wing and the fuselage stern frame being replaced. Non standard fuselage cowls possibly indicate a change of engine type. It is believed to be the most complete example of the dozen or so still in existence around the world. It is probably the only surviving example still wearing the original paintwork which was applied by the Luftwaffe in 1944. It is currently on display in the Australian War Museum, Canberra, Australia.
Bf 109G-6/U4, (Wk. Nr. 163824) coded NF+FY, G-SMIT, was produced at Regensburg in 1944, within the last batch of the G-6 series. It was tested at Puchhof airfield and was damaged in the same year. It is unknown what unit used this Messerschmitt. During December 1944, the plane was refurbished at “Ludwig Hansen & Co.” repair facilities, according to an inscription found on the aircraft “M.C.Y. 31.12.1944”, receiving a new starboard wing, a new stern section and a changed engine cowl. After the war the British captured 163824 at Eggebek airfield. The aircraft was transferred to England and in 1946 it was crated and shipped to Australia, together with a Messerschmitt Me 163, as a gift to the Australian Government. The two aircraft were stored until 1954, when they were transferred to the Australian War Memorial. (Wk. Nr. 163824) was sold several times, before being returned to the Australian War Memorial in 1987, with the provision that the Memorial “ensure the restoration and preservation of the aircraft..and that the aircraft will be maintained for the general public.” Restoration work began in 2002. Except for missing armament the plane is complete in all respects. 163824 is the only Bf 109 wearing its original camouflage and markings, a 1944 day-fighter scheme, with variations resulting from service repairs and replacements.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, (Wk. Nr. 14798), GJ+QP, ex 8./JG5, coded "Black 10", is being restored by Wayne Dawson, New South Wales, Australia.
Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 14743) coded MT-208, RJ+SM, was raised from the sea by the Finnish Aviation Museum in 1999, Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Finland.
Bf 109G-6/U2, (Wk. Nr. 165227) coded MT-452, BV+UE. During the years 1943 and 1944, Messerschmitt delivered160 Bf 109G-6 to the Finish Air Force, including 165227, which served until 1954, coded as MT-542. In 1970, the plane was restored and is on display coded Yellow 4, in the Suomen Ilmailumuseo (Finnish Air Force Museum), Sanatahamina, Utti Air Force Base, Helsinki, Finland.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/Y, (Wk. Nr. 167271), ex VO + GI, ex-Finnish AF, MT-507, coded "Yellow 0", on display in the Keski-Suomen Ilmailmuseo (Central Finland Aviation Museum), Tikkakoski, Finland.
Bf 109G-6/Y, (Wk. Nr. 167271) coded MT-507, VO+GI, was delivered to the Finish Air Force on 24 August 1944 and put into service as MT-507. Finland was forced into an armistice with the USSR on 4 September 1944, and MT-507 went into storage after just 10 hours of flight. It was returned to service in June 1949, and remained in service until 13 March 1954, making it the last Messerschmitt Bf 109 on active service. It was repainted a number of times between 1954 and 1970, before being restored in 1970, coded Yellow 0. Since 1978, it has been in the collection of the Keski-Suomen Ilmailmuseo (Central Finland Aviation Museum), Tikkakoski, Finland in Finish Air Force markings.
Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 410077) coded <+tech off Stab IV/JG54, RK+FY, VH-BFG, was built at Erla being delivered to the Luftwaffe where it was painted with the markings of a technical officer of a Geschwaderstaff. It landed on Lake Swiblo at Pskov, in the USSR after being damaged by anti-aircraft fire. It was impossible to recover the aircraft because the Red Army was approaching, so German troops destroyed it by gunfire, until it sank into the lake. It is possible the aircraft belonged to Geschwaderstaff JG 54 or the staff of its 4th Squadron. The aircraft was recovered in 1990, and sent to Tuchino Air Force Base, Moscow, then on to Canada. It was owned by D. Prewett in West Heidelberg, Australia. Now owned by Dr Bruce Winter, Danville, Illinois. Now airworthy, this Bf 109G-6 took to the air on 24 May 2022, flown by Steve Hinton.
Bf 109G-6, (Wk. Nr. 411968) coded "Black 1", 11/JG5, RX+FM, recovered in Russia, and now being restored in Moscow.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10, (Wk. Nr. 770269), coded 5F+12, 2. NAGr 14, captured at Fürth, May 1945, with a North American P-51D Mustang in the background.
Possibly Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14, (Wk. Nr. 610824), captured at Neubiberg, near Munich, Germany in May 1945. It was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper and tested as USA FE-124, later T2-124, at Freeman Field, Indiana. If this is 610824, it is currently preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.
(Martin McGuire Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U4 Gustav (Serial No. 61-0824), C/N 610824, coded "Blue 4". This aircraft was captured at Neubiberg, near Munich, Germany in May 1945. It was shipped to the USA on HMS Reaper and tested as USA FE-124, later T2-124, at Freeman Field, Indiana. This aircraft is currently preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio. It is painted as (Wk. Nr. 610824), “Blue 4” of JG 300, “Wild Sau.”
Bf 109G-10/U-4, (Wk. Nr. 610824), 11/JG52, coded "Black 2", surrendered at Neubiberg, near Munich in the group’s en masse retreat to escape Soviet forces. This machine was one of three Bf 109s taken to the US by Capt Fred McIntosh, in charge of collecting piston-engined aircraft for “Watson’s Whizzers.” After test flying, it was found not to be airworthy and made its journey to Cherbourg by truck, it was then loaded on the aircraft carrier HMS Reaper along with many other captured Luftwaffe aircraft and left port on 19 July 1945. 12 days later it arrived at pier 14 in New York Harbor, and it was then trucked to Newark, New Jersey and finally arrived at Freeman Field near Seymour, Indiana on 17 May 1946. The aircraft was given a rather spurious paint scheme and coded USA FE-124, this was changed later to T2-124, when the Air Technical Service Command underwent re-organization and the Technical Data Laboratory Branch became part of T-2 Intelligence. 610824 was not used for research, but instead became a display aircraft in the early post war era touring various airbases. In 1947, T2-124 and T2-118 were donated to the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. Sometime around 1955, Bud Weaver, an FAA inspector in Atlanta traded a working aero engine for the two aircraft. They were then stored out in the open at various rental properties owned by Mr. Weaver and soon became derelict due to vandals and exposure to the elements. It was at this time that 610824 lost its original wings. Someone had the local Trash Company haul it off to the dump. Mr. Weaver arrived in time to retrieve the fuselage, but it was too late to save the wings. If anything good could have happened from all this, then at least the weather had worn off the spurious paint job to reveal the original markings on what was left of the airframe. In the mid-1960s T2-124 and T2-118 parted company as John W. Caler of Sun Valley, California Valley purchased the remains of the Me-109. His intentions were to restore the aircraft (in his own garage!) and he was able to obtain a set of wings from a Czech Avia. He reportedly tried to re-skin the fuselage and because of a lack of proper tools and expertise, the results were not a professional looking job. This is supposed to be a clue to 610824’s identity. This project was eventually abandoned and the airframe sold to an unknown private collector, date unknown at this time. Reg. No. N109MS.
Somewhere between 1979 and 1984 it was sold to Doug Arnold’s Warplanes of Great Britain Collection and placed in storage at his Biggin Hill facility to eventually become a stable mate with another Bf 109G-10, (Wk. Nr. 610937). Some restoration work may have been carried out but cannot be confirmed. In 1989 it was sold to Evergreen Ventures and restored to static display condition by Vintage Aircraft Restorations Ltd., of Fort Collins, Colorado. Restoration work may have been completed in 1995-1997. Since 1 April 1999, 610824 has been on display at the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio, coded “Blue 4” of JG 300, “Wild Sau”. An interesting side note here: as Freeman Field was a subsidiary of what was then known as Wright Field, it would seem that 610824 has traveled full circle since its arrival in the USA in 1946.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U4, (Wk. Nr. 610937), airworthy. This aircraft is on display in the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Oregon.
Bf 109G-10/U-4, (Wk. Nr. 610937), coded "White 44", former Bulgarian and Yugoslavian Air Force 9644, Reg. No. N109EV, is with the Captain Michael Smith Evergreen Aviation Center, McMinnville, Oregon. Built in the summer of 1944 as a G-14, (Wk. Nr. 127914), the aircraft was later upgraded as a G-10/U4 Jabo Rei (long range fighter-bomber) by WNF. It was abandoned at Zeltweg Airfield in Austria at the end of the war. Somewhere between May and August 1945, (Wk. Nr. 610937) and many other aircraft were taken as trophies by units from the 6th Polk (regiment) of the Bulgarian Air Force and ferried to Bulgaria. The trip must have been a harrowing one to say the least. The airfield was situated between the British and Soviet zones of occupation and the aircraft had to fly through the British zone. The English reacted by sending a protest to the Soviet Command to “stop flying German planes in their zone”. Two Supermarine Spitfires were dispatched to patrol the area and anti-aircraft units occasionally opened fire on these “trophies” with at least three of them reported to have been shot down. The next stop was Pech Airfield in Hungary, where the Hungarians rushed the field thinking that they were welcoming their pilots returning home. They had a rather unpleasant surprise seeing that the aircraft were piloted by the Bulgarians.
After a stop in Belgrade, they finally reached Sophia. Not much is known about the service history of these Bulgarian Bf 109s. Many were transferred from the Karlovo Airfield to the Burshen Airfield near Silven and were actively flown by the 2nd and 3rd Orlyak (group) of the 6th Polk until they converted to the Soviet built Yak-9. Some of these Bf 109s served in the training role as late as 1950, with the last of them being cut into scrap metal in 1951. In 1947, the Paris Peace Treaty limited the size of Bulgaria‘s Air Force and some of its excess aircraft were sent to Yugoslavia in military equipment trade negotiations between the two countries. 610937 became part of a shipment of 59 Bf 109s of assorted variants to be traded for a number of fuselages and tail units of Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmoviks. After being transported to Zagreb by rail, the aircraft were refurbished, repainted and 610937 was coded “White 44”, Yugoslav Air Force (Serial No. 9644). "White 44" was flown by either the 83rd or 172nd fighter wing based at Cerklje Airfield and may have been flown on patrol sorties along the Italian frontier during the confrontation between Yugoslavia and Italy over the free zone of Trieste. White 44’s last recorded flight was 17 October 1950. Total flight time in service: 35 hrs. 15 mins.
The aircraft was placed in storage until 1953, when it was declared scrapped and donated to a technical school known as the Machine Facility in Belgrade. It was used as an instructional airframe until somewhere between 1977 and 1979 when it was transferred to the Yugoslav Aviation Museum in Belgrade. Apparently the museum didn’t have the funds to restore the airframe and in 1984, it was sold to Doug Arnold’s Warplanes of Great Britain Collection. In 1989, it was sold along with 610824, to Evergreen Ventures and in 1991 it was sent to Vintage Aircraft Restorations Ltd., at Fort Collins, Colorado where after 5 years it was restored to flight-worthy condition. It was painted to represent an aircraft flown by Germany’s leading ace, Eric Hartman with 352 aerial victories, and is on display in preserved condition (fluids drained) at the Captain Michael King Smith Evergreen Aviation Educational Institute in McMinnville, Oregon.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E pair in flight. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E hulk undergoing restoration at the Planes of Fame Museum, Chino, California. (Dustin May Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U-4, (Wk. Nr. 611943), 11/JG52, coded "Yellow 13", USA FE-122, later TE-122, now in the Planes of Fame Museum. (USAAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U-4, (Wk. Nr. 611943) 11/JG52, coded "Yellow 13", USA FE-122, later TE-122, now in the Planes of Fame Museum, Valle, near the Grand Canyon, Arizona. This aircraft was found in the area of Munich by US troops, and later transported to Cherbourg, France, where it was loaded on HMS Reaper and transferred to the USA. Yellow 13 was test flown with the registration numbers USA FE-122 and later T2-122, then loaned to a high school before being purchased privately. It was sold to Ed Maloney in 1959, who added the aircraft to his “Planes of Fame” Museum collection. It has had a number of colour schemes over the years. (Author Photos)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10, (Wk. Nr. unknown), captured at Neubiberg and restored at Freeman Field and shown here on static display at Petterson AFB, Ohio, coded "Black 7", USA FE-123, later T2-123. Last seen in the 1950s, fate unknown. (USAAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6, coded "Black 12+-". This "Kanonenvogel" is equipped with the Rüstsatz VI underwing gondola cannon kit. (Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-487-3066-04)
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 Kanonenvogel equipped with the Rüstsatz VI underwing gondola cannon kit, USAAF. (USAAF Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G6, (Wk. Nr. 166133) in USAAF markings.
In July 1944, as part of the War Manpower Commission’s “Shot Out of the Sky” program, the wreckage of a German Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter plane was displayed on the Common’s Parade Grounds in Boston, Massachusetts, in an effort to encourage war bond sales. (Trustees of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection Photos)
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14, (Wk. Nr. 784993), ex IV./JG53, coded "White 13", in the Aviaticum, Wiener Neustadt, Germany, a new build Bf 109G-6 which has the original wings and the markings of (Wk. Nr. 784993). This JG 53 fighter was shot down on 1 Jan 1945 during Operation Bodenplatte, while being flown by Uffz Herbert Maxis. White 13 is now preserved in the Museum of Aviation in Kosice, Slovakia.
Captured Messerschmitt Bf 109G2Trop 7. JG53, "White 1" North Africa, 1942.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14/U4 (Wk. Nr 415601) captured at Gilze-Rijen and ferried back to England where she was given the RAF Reg. No. VD358.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G14U4 Erla (Wk. Nr 413598) captured RAF EA 2 Reg No. YD358.
Bf 109G-14/AS (Serial No. CE464836CE), coded "Yellow 4", is a replica being assembled by a private owner in Leipzig, Germany using many original parts including a DB 605 engine.
Like the Fw 190, the Bf 109 was mounted on top of a Junkers Ju 88H-1 bomber as part of a Mistel combination. The composite comprised a small piloted control aircraft mounted above a large explosives-carrying drone, the Mistel, and as a whole was referred to as the Huckepack ("Piggyback"), also known as the Beethoven-Gerät ("Beethoven Device") and Vati und Sohn ("Daddy and Son"). The most successful of these used a modified Junkers Ju 88 bomber as the Mistel, with the entire nose-located crew compartment replaced by a specially designed nose filled with a large load of explosives, formed into a shaped charge. The upper component was a fighter like the Bf 109, joined to the Mistel by struts. The combination would be flown to its target by a pilot in the fighter; then the unmanned bomber was released to hit its target and explode, leaving the fighter free to return to base. The first such composite aircraft flew in July 1943 and was promising enough to begin a programme by Luftwaffe test unit KG 200, code-named "Beethoven", eventually entering operational service. Other Mistel composites included the Ta 154/Fw 190, Ar 234/Fi 103, Do 217K/DFS 288 and Si 204/Lippisch D-1. (Luftwaffe Photos)
Other Messerschmitt Bf 109 variants included the Bf 109K-4 which was developed from the G-10, powered by one Daimler-Benz 605 liquid cooled inverted V12 with 1,550-hp. It had a wing span of 32’6½”, a length of 29’4” and a height of 8’6”. It had a maximum loaded weight of 7,438 lbs. It had a maximum speed of 452-mph at 19,685’, a maximum rate of climb of 4,823 feet per minute; a range of 365 miles; and a service ceiling of 41,000’. It was armed with one 30-mm Mk 108 or Mk 103 mounted between the cylinder heads and firing through the propeller hub, and two 15mm MG 151 mounted above the engine. (Luftwaffe Photos)
Messerschmitt Me 209V1. One Messerschmitt Me 209V1, (Wk. Nr. 1185) coded D-INJR, is with the Muzeum Lotnictwa I Astronautyki, Krakow, Poland. Only the fuselage and major parts, no wings. This aircraft was a high-speed prototype developed to set speed records. (Luftwaffe Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109F, Hungarian Air Force. (Hungarian Air Force Photo)
Messerschmitt Bf 109E, Royal Romanian Air Force. (Romanian Air Force Photos)
The Bf 109 was licence-produced by IAR at Brasov in Romania, and by Avia in Czechoslovakia after the war as the Avia CS-199. Three of these aircraft still exist:
Avia CS-199, Czech Air Force, post war. (Czech Air Force Photo)
Avia CS-199, (Wk. Nr. 199565) coded UC-26, with the Vojenske Muzeum, Kbely Air Base, Prague, Czech Republic.
Avia S-199, (Wk. Nr. 199178) "UC-25È, Vojenske Muzeum, Kbely Air Base, Prague, Czech Republic.
Avia S-199, (Wk. Nr. 782358), D 112, coded 1207 is in the Israeli Air Force Museum, Hazerim Air Force Base, Israel. Israel purchased 25 Avia S-199s (23 delivered) when, due to being embargoed, it was unable to acquire aircraft from other sources. The Israel Air Force retired its aircraft in early 1949. The Czech-built “Mezec” was flown by Israel against the Egyptian Air Force in 1948.
Spain undertook licence-assembly of the Bf 109 during and after the war using Hispano-Suiza 12-Z-89 and 12-Z-17 engines in German-supplied airframes and later Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. These aircraft (nicknamed “Buchón”) were designated Hispano Aviación HAS 1109-J1L, HA-K1L (two-seater) and HA 1112-K1L and remained in service until the 1960s. There are at least 38 Buchóns preserved around the world.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2. This aircraft is a Spanish-built Hispano Aviación HA-1109-K1L C.4J rebuilt as a Bf 109G-2 with DB605 engine., on display in the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow (Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), Germany.
Hispano Aviación HA-1109-K1L C/N 54, C.4J-unknown, has been rebuilt with a DB605 engine as a Bf 109G-2, and is owned by the Messerschmitt-Foundation in Manching. This aircraft was produced 1948 and served as a prototype for the production of the Hispano HA-1112 and as a test plane. After it was taken out of service, Hispano gave the plane to the city of Seville, which used it as part of an adventure playground. Vandals made the machine unsafe for use as a playground, and so it was returned to Hispano in 1968. It was used in the Battle of Britain film, then abandoned until purchased Willy Messerschmitt on 26 April 1968. An unsuccessful attempt was made to have the aircraft restored as a Bf 109 E, then it was transported to Germany by the Luftwaffe, where it was placed on display in front of the MBB headquarters of in Augsburg. Plans were made to convert the aircraft to a G-2, and it was fitted with a non-functioning DB 605 engine and a desert camouflage paint scheme. Between 1995 and 1997, the aircraft was displayed at Flugwerft Oberschleißheim, then given an original camouflage scheme without markings. Since 1997 the plane has been on a number of exhibitions.
Hispano Aviación HA-1109-K1L C/N 56, C.4J-10, 94-28, Museo del Aire, Madrid, Spain.
Hispano Aviación HA-1109-K1L C/N unknown, C.4J--unknown, Yellow 4, is on display in the Luftwaffenmuseum Berlin-Gatow. This aircraft was produced in Spain and transferred to Germany at the same time as Serial No. 54. It was converted to Bf 109G-2 with a DB605 engine configuration and initially placed on display at the Luftwaffenmuseum in Uetersen with the markings of JG 2. It is now painted in the desert camouflage and the markings of Major Rödel of JG 27.
(Clemens Vasters Photo)
Hispano Aviación HA-1109-K1L Buchón C/N unknown, C.4J, restored as a Bf 109G-2 for the Airbus Group, Musée Aerocopia, Allée André Turcat, 31700 Blagnac, France. It flew with the Spanish Air Force as C.4 K-21. It crashed on May 26, 1958 during takeoff. It was used in a children's playground until 1968, when it was refurbished for static use in the movie "Battle of Britain". It was restored to a G-2 status with a DB 605 A engine.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N unknown, coded C.4K-30, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 67, coded C.4K-31, Reg. No. N109ME, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 8, then Yellow 14, RAF Museum, Duxford, England.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 133, coded C.4K-64 was presented to the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Ohio by the Spanish Air Force in 1966. In 1982, it was restored in Germany with a DB605 engine as a Bf 109G-5, and painted with the markings of Gerhard Barkhorn. After the National Museum of the USAF bought a genuine Bf 109G-10 in 1999, the converted Hispano HA-1112-M1L was stored until sold to the Fighter Factory Suffolk in November 2003. The Fighter Factory, currently working on an airworthy Bf 109E-7, plans make this G-5 airworthy as well.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 120, coded C.4K-77, Reg. No. N700E, Yellow 3, Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, California.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 129, coded C.4K-61, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas. HA 1112 M1L, C/N 129 is in the UK, where it is being converted to a Bf 109K-4.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 137, coded C.4K-116, Quantico, Virginia.
Messerschmitt Bf 109G, Reg. No. D-FWME, "Red 7" (Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón), the Messerschmitt Foundation, Germany.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 139, coded C.4K-75, D-FWME, N3109, was produced in 1950 at Hispano in Spain, although did not enter service with the Spanish Air Force until eight years later. In 1965 the plane was withdrawn from service and parked at the airbase in Tablada, where it stood for three years, until it was purchased for the movie Battle of Britain and optically converted into a Bf 109 E-4. While being flown for another movie, the aircraft crashed on takeoff and was severely damaged in 1968. Later, this “Buchón” went to England, before it was shipped to the USA, where it was restored and repaired up to 1986. During the first test-flight, the plane again crashed and was again heavily damaged. Afterwards this it was converted into a Bf 109 for static display. In 1994/95 the plane was shipped to France and later to Augsburg, Germany, where it was put up for sale. In 1997, the aircraft was purchased and later rebuilt with a DB605 engine as converted to a Bf 109G-4 in Germany in 2004. The rebuilt aircraft was flight tested on 23 August 2004 by Walter Eichhorn, who also flies the Bf 109 G-6 and G-10 of the Messerschmitt Foundation. The aircraft was officially unveiled on 8 October 2004 at Albstadt-Degerfeld, coded as Red 7. The aircraft suffered damage following a one-wheel landing on 16 July 2005, but may be repaired. HA 1112 M.1L, C/N 139 (converted to Bf 109G-4), now belongs to the Messerschmitt Foundation at Manching, Germany.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 144, coded C.4K-162, preserved in the UK.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 145, coded C.4K-105, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 4, Richard Hansen, Batavia, Illinois.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N unknown, coded C.4K-111, 471-15, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N 156, coded C.4K-87, FM+BB, D-FMBB. Early in the 1970s, Messerschmitt AG decided to restore a Bf 109 to flying condition and put it back in the air with a Daimler-Benz engine. They acquired a Spanish Hispano HA-1112 M-1L (Serial No. 195), built in 1959 and later displayed in an American Museum as Black 8, I./JG 27. During the 1976 period of the restoration, workers discovered evidence the aircraft had an original German production line Bf 109 fuselage. The aircraft was restored as a Bf 109G-6, with a licence-built DB 605 engine which came from Sweden in 1978, and in spite of a number of difficulties, this aircraft took to the air again on 4 April 1982. Up through the summer of 1983 it flew 49 times and was a highlight at many air-shows, until lost during take-off on 3 June 1983. MBB decided to repair aircraft a second time, and to that end, another Ha 1112 fuselage was bought in France (Serial No. 156). Original construction documents were discovered in Spain which gave the restoration team considerable assistance in the reconstruction of the “Gustav.” The engine had survived the crash nearly undamaged and was used for the new plane, after it was carefully inspected. The restored aircraft took to the air again in June 1986, three years after the crash, this time coded as FM+BB. Travelling the air show circuit, FM+BB now belongs to the Messerschmitt Foundation, and is based in an EADS hangar at the Manching airbase. A mechanical failure resulted in some damage to the aircraft in Berlin in 2002. Repaired and given a new engine, FM+BB has back in the air since on 2 September 2005.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón C/N unknown, coded C.4K-88, was discovered on a Spanish airfield in 1987 by a British Warplane enthusiast. The aircraft had been used for fire-fighting training. The wreck was transferred to England, where it underwent restoration as a Bf 109E-1 coded 6-88. It was previously displayed at the Tangmere Aviation Museum, and is currently with the Newbury Aeroplane Company in England.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón (Serial No. 12E-265), C/N 164, coded C.4K-114 retains its Spanish Air Force markings, and is on loan from the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Ottawa, to the Western Canada Aviation Museum, Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was flown in the movie Battle of Britain. Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Ottawa, Ontario.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 166, coded C.4K-106, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Yellow 8, Reg. No. N90607, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 171, coded C.4K-100, C.4K-19, 71-9, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 13, Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum, Portage, Michigan.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 172, coded C.4K-102, Reg. No. G-BWUE, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 7, then Red 1, Spitfire Ltd, Jersey, England.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N unknown, coded C.4K-112, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 11, Reg. No. N1109G, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 178, coded C.4K-121 (also recorded as C.4K-178) has been rebuilt with a DB601N engine. Owned by the 1941 Historical aircraft Group, Genesco, New York, the Buchón is stored in Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 186, coded C.4K-122, Yellow 7, <<+I, has been rebuilt as a Bf 109E-4 with DB 601 engine by using an original engine hood. Registered as G-AWHL in 1968 it played a role in the movie Battle of Britain. In 1976 the aircraft went to Günzburg, Germany, where it was restored to airworthy status. It was registered as N109J, but never flown before being transferred to the Champlin Fighter Museum. This aircraft is now in the Museum of Flight, Seattle, Washington.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 187, coded C.4K-99, 7-77, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Yellow 5, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 190, coded C.4K-126, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, Red 9, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 193, coded C.4K-130, Reg. No. N90602, flew in the movie Battle of Britain. Now in the Tillamook Naval Air Station Museum, Tillamook, Oregon.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112 C/N 194, coded C.4K-134 has been rebuilt using a BD605 engine into a Bf 109G-6/R6. Coded Black 12. The conversion can be determined by the look of a different shaped supercharger intake, a shallower oil cooler cover, a missing second cowling air scoop, and the unaligned MG 131 bulges, as well as modifications to make the machine flyable. Windmundhafen Air Base, Germany.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112 C/N 194, coded C.4K-134 has been rebuilt using a BD605 engine into a Bf 109G-6/R6. Coded Black 12 it flew in the movie Battle of Britain. It is with Wittmundhafen Air Base, Germany.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 195, coded C.4K-135, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, previously with the Victory Air Museum, now in St Louis, Missouri.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112 C/N 199, coded C.4K-12, Yellow 1 +<-, it flew in the movie Battle of Britain. EAA Aviation Museum, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 211 coded C.4K-148, 471-23, Museo del Aire, Madrid.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 213 coded C.4K-1 unknown, Reg. No. D-FEHD, Black 15, with the Messerschmitt Foundation.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 220, coded C.4K-152, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, White 5, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 223, coded C.4K-154, flew in the movie Battle of Britain, White 5, Edwards Collection, Wilson Edwards, Big Spring, Texas.
(Hugh Llewlyn Photo)
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 228 coded C.4K-170, Reg. No. N170BG, painted as Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 (with Erle Haube canopy), “Yellow 4”. This aircraft was used by the Spanish Air Force until 1966, and was later flown in the movies Battle of Britain and Patton. In 1969 it was moved to the Technical University of Aachen, where it was rebuilt into a Bf 109G-6. The institute owned a matching DB 605 engine, which was installed into the airframe. The aircraft was painted as Yellow 4 of Staffel 6, Jagdgruppe II, Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As' ('Ace of Spades') in a camouflage scheme of RLM74/75/76, as it would have appeared in 1943. The left side remained unrestored and is cut open to show the interior of the aircraft. Yellow 4 has been on display in the Auto und Technik Museum, Sinsheim, Germany, since 1984.
Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L C/N 234, previously Reg. No. D-FMVS, has been converted to represent a two-seat Messerschmitt Bf 109G-12, (Wk. Nr. 15208), powered by a rare Daimler-Benz DB605 engine. It is coded Orange 27, Reg. No. D-FMGZ, and is airworthy. It is on display in the Air Fighter Academy, and is based at the Hangar 10 Museum, Heringsdorf, Germany.