Artillery and Armour in the USA: New Hampshire (2)

Artillery, Tanks and AFVs in New Hampshire, Part 2

One of the aims of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical piece of artillery and all armoured fighting vehicles preserved in New England.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these tangible pieces of our military history and the list you see here is constantly being revised as new finds are discovered and the data is updated.  The photos have come from various contributors, but the author likes to "ground truth" the reports, so a good number of the photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author.   It often happens that military monuments that are relatively mobile, have been moved for restoration or scrapped, sometimes they are repainted with different markings and serial numbers, or they are replaced with a different piece of kit.  For those reasons, any additions, deletions, corrections or amendments that you may be able to add to this list of Artillery and AFVs in New England would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at  The primary aim is preserve our military history and to keep the record accurate.

New Castle, Fort Constitution

(Alexius Horatius Photo)

(Carol White Photo)

Fort Constitution on the Piscataqua River between New Hampshire and Maine

Fort William and Mary was a colonial fortification in Britain's worldwide system of defenses, manned by soldiers of the Province of New Hampshire who reported directly to the Royal Governor.  The fort, known locally as "the Castle", was situated on the island of New Castle, at the mouth of the Piscataqua River estuary.  It was captured by Patriot forces, recaptured, and later abandoned by the British in the Revolutionary War.  The fort was rebuilt under the Second System of US fortifications.  Walls were doubled in height and new brick buildings added.  Work was completed in 1808 and the defence renamed Fort Constitution.  During the War of 1812 the fort was manned and expanded, Walbach Tower, a Martello tower with a single 32-pounder gun, being built in 1814.

During the American Civil War, Fort Constitution was projected to be rebuilt as a three-tiered granite fortress under the Third System of US fortifications. However, advances in weaponry, particularly armored, steam-powered warships with heavy rifled guns, rendered the masonry design obsolete before it was finished.  The fort's construction was abandoned in 1867 with the Second System fort largely intact and two walls from the Third System built around parts of it.

In 1897 construction began on Battery Farnsworth, located under the hill on which Walbach Tower stands, as part of the large-scale Endicott Program of seacoast fortifications.  It was part of the Coast Defences of Portsmouth, along with Fort Stark and Fort Foster.  The battery was completed in 1899. Named for Brigadier General Elon J. Farnsworth, the installation included two 8-inch (203-mm) M1888 guns on disappearing carriages.  The battery was accompanied in 1904 by Battery Hackleman, with two 3-inch (76-mm) M1903 guns on pedestal mounts.  A mine casemate for an underwater minefield in the harbour was built; Battery Hackleman was built primarily to defend this minefield against minesweepers.

(Fort Stark Visitors Centre Photos)

Sea Mines at Fort Constitution during the Second World War.

(Library of Congress Photo)  

8-inch (203-mm) railway gun.  

After the American entry into the First World War in early 1917, many guns were removed from coast defenses for potential service on the Western Front.  Both 8-inch guns of Battery Farnsworth were removed for use as railway artillery in October 1917 and were not returned to the fort.  In 1920 a mine casemate was built next to Battery Farnsworth to replace a similar facility at Fort Stark.

In the Second World War Battery Hackleman's 3-inch guns were sent to a new battery of the same name at Fort H.G. Wright on Fisher's Island, New York. They were replaced by two 3-inch (76-mm) M1902 guns from Battery Hays at nearby Fort Stark.  In 1940-1944 the Harbor Defenses of Portsmouth were garrisoned by the 22nd Coast Artillery Regiment.  Also, a mine observation station was built atop Battery Farnsworth.  Battery Hackleman was disarmed by 1948 and the fort was turned over to the Coast Guard. Battery Hackleman was demolished, but Battery Farnsworth can still be seen.  Since 1771 the fort has been home to a lighthouse.  (Wikipedia)

New Castle, Little Harbor, Fort Stark

(New Hampshire Visitor Center Photos)

Fort Stark, ca 1942-1945.

(Magicpiano Photos)

Fort Stark, present day.  

Fort Stark is located at Jerry's Point (also called Jaffrey's Point) on the southeastern tip of New Castle Island, most of the surviving fort was developed in the early 20th century, following the Spanish–American War, although there were several earlier fortifications on the site, portions of which survive.  The fort was named for John Stark, a New Hampshire officer who distinguished himself at the Battle of Bennington in the American Revolution.  The purpose of Fort Stark was to defend the harbour of nearby Portsmouth and the Portsmouth Navy Shipyard.  The fort remained in active use through the Second World War, after which it was used for reserve training by the US Navy.  The property was partially turned over to the state of New Hampshire in 1979, which established Fort Stark Historic Site, and the remainder of the property was turned over in 1983.  The grounds are open to the public during daylight hours.  (Wikipedia)

More information about Fort Stark and historic locations in New Hampshire can be found at these web sites.  (Information courtesy of Carol White with the Fort Stark Visitor Center):

The site of the present Fort Stark was first fortified in 1746 as Battery Cumberland, with nine 32-pounder guns.  It was rebuilt in 1775 for the American Revolution, but the guns (two 32-pounders and six 24-pounders) were soon removed to arm other forts in the area.  Several of the guns captured at nearby Fort William and Mary were used to rearm this fort in September 1775. The fort was garrisoned until 1778 and is one of several forts in the area that may have been named Fort Hancock during the Revolution.  In 1794 a new battery for nine guns was built on the site as part of the First System of US fortifications; the remains of a circular stone redoubt excavated in 1982, probably this one, can be seen in front of Battery Hunter.

During the War of 1812 a company of 120 militiamen under Captain William Marshall garrisoned the redoubt. The guns at this time were a mix of 6-pounder and 9-pounder weapons. The redoubt was abandoned soon after the war ended in 1815.

Plans were drawn up in 1861 for a large stone fort on the site, part of the Third System of fortifications, but the fort was never built. In 1873 the United States acquired the property as part of a modernization of seacoast defenses. The stone forts of the Civil War and earlier had been shown to be vulnerable to rifled cannon in that war, and new defenses centered on earthworks were planned. After modifying the plan for reduced cost in 1874, earthworks for eight 15-inch Rodman Guns, (Columbiad, 15-inch, smoothbore, seacoast, Model 1861), were planned as the "Battery at Jerry's Point", with an additional three "heavy guns" in the old redoubt.  However, funding was cut off in 1876 with the new battery about two-thirds complete. Minor construction occurred in 1879 and 1885-1886, but it appears the battery was never armed. A small portion of it can still be seen. In 1887 the Jerry's Point Lifesaving Station was built on the west side of the site, which remained in service until 1908 when the Portsmouth Harbor Lifesaving Station was built on Wood Island near Fort Foster.

In 1885 the Endicott Board recommended a large-scale fortification plan that eventually included Fort Stark. However, construction on the new fort did not begin until 1901. In 1898, shortly after the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, emergency batteries were constructed to quickly arm key points, as most of the Endicott batteries were still years from completion and it was feared the Spanish fleet would bombard the US East Coast. At Jerry's Point this consisted of two 8-inch (203-mm) M1888 guns mounted on converted carriages built for Rodman guns in the 1870s emplacements. These guns were removed in 1900 to arm new Endicott batteries elsewhere and to make room for the new batteries at Fort Stark.

(New Hampshire Visitor Center Photos)

12-inch M1895 gun mounted on a disappearing carriage at Fort Stark, some time after 1905.

Construction began on the newly named Fort Stark in 1901 and was completed in 1905.  Four batteries were originally built: Battery Hunter with two 12-inch (305-mm) M1895 guns on disappearing carriages, Battery Kirk with two 6-inch (152-mm) M1903 guns on disappearing carriages, and Batteries Hays and Lytle, each with two 3-inch (76-mm) M1902 guns on pedestal mounts.

(New Hampshire Visitor Center Photos)

3-inch gun M1903 on masking parapet mounts c1945, Fort Stark.

(New Hampshire Visitor Center Photo)

155-mm Model 1917 Field Gun employed in Coastal Defence, Fort Stark.

Battery Hunter was named for Major General David Hunter of the Civil War, Battery Kirk was named for Brigadier General Edward N. Kirk, Battery Hays was named for Major General Alexander Hays, and Battery Lytle was named for Brigadier General William Haines Lytle.  Each of the last three were killed in action in the Civil War.  Facilities for controlling an underwater minefield in the harbour were added in 1907-1909; Batteries Hays and Lytle were built primarily to defend this minefield against minesweepers.  As with other US seacoast forts, Fort Stark was garrisoned by the United States Army Coast Artillery Corps.  The fort was part of the Coast Defenses of Portsmouth (Harbor Defenses after 1925), along with Fort Foster and Fort Constitution.

After the American entry into the First World War the two 6-inch (152-mm) guns of Battery Kirk were dismounted for use on the Western Front on field carriages.  These guns were sent to France and returned to the United States after the war, but were not returned to Fort Stark.  A history of the Coast Artillery in the First World War states that none of the regiments in France equipped with 6-inch guns completed training in time to see action before the Armistice.

In 1940-1944 the Harbor Defenses of Portsmouth were garrisoned by the 22nd Coast Artillery Regiment.  In 1942 a new combined Army-Navy Harbor Entrance Control Post (HECP) and Harbor Defense Command Post (HDCP) was built atop the inactive Battery Kirk and disguised as a seaside mansion of the period; the design of this facility was unique to Fort Stark.  It included an SCR-682 radar.

(Carol White Photo)

16-inch shell on display inside Fort Stark.

Although most of the heavy guns in the Portsmouth area were superseded by the new 16-inch (406-mm) gun battery at Fort Dearborn, Battery Hunter's 12-inch guns remained in service until February 1945, several months after the guns at Fort Dearborn entered service. The original Batteries Hays and Lytle were deactivated in 1942. Battery Hays' two 3-inch guns were sent to Battery Hackleman at Fort Constitution, while a new Battery Lytle was built just south of Battery Hunter, consisting of two concrete pads atop the 1870s earthworks. A 90-mm M1A2 anti-aircraft gun battery, called Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 953 (AMTB 953), was proposed for Fort Stark but not built.

With all the guns scrapped, the fort was deactivated in 1948 and turned over to the Navy in 1950. The Navy used the fort for harbour defence purposes until 1953, when it became a reserve training center for a Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare Unit until 1980. In 1963 two Navy 3-inch (76-mm) guns were placed on the "new" Battery Lytle's gun blocks as a memorial to USS Thresher (SSN-593), lost while operating from Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Years later, one gun was returned to the shipyard, while the other gun was left derelict after a 1978 storm dislodged its mounting block. The fort is now a state park, with a small museum in the Visitors' Center that includes the remaining 3-inch gun. (Wikipedia)

3-inch Mk. 2 Fisher Naval Deck Gun, 1942, inside the Fort Stark Museum.  (Carol White Photos)


(Author Photo)

3-inch Model 1905 Field Gun and limber, Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery School, 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.

3-inch Model 1905 Field Gun, mounted on a Model 1902 carriage Serial No. 382, Rock Island Arsenal 1911, No. 1 of 2.

3-inch Model 1905 Field Gun, N2 3182, mounted on a Model 1902 carriage Serial No. TBC, Rock Island Arsenal 1911, No. 2 of 2.  These two guns are located in the historical district next to the oldest town forest in the USA.


(Allen Tanner Photo)

57-mm M1 anti-tank gun, No. 1 of 2 in Newmarket, this one is on Bay Road.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

57-mm M1 anti-tank gun, No. 2 of 2 in Newmarket, this one is on Packers Fall Road.


Bronze 12-Pounder Model 1841 SBML Field Howitzer, mounted on a concrete stand, one of two guns in a war memorial park.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

Bronze 12-pounder Dahlgren rifled muzzleloading boat howitzer, mounted on a concrete stand, second of two guns in the war memorial park.


(silverquill Photo)

32-pounder M1864 (6.2-inch) Dahlgren Shell Gun, 4,500 lbs, No. 1 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, on display in front of the G.A.R. Hall on a hill in Peterborough.

(Nelson Lawry Photo)

32-pounder M1864 (6.2-inch) Dahlgren Shell Gun, 4,500 lbs, No. 2 of 2, mounted on an iron garrison carriage, on display in front of the G.A.R. Hall on a hill in Peterborough.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

RF 6-pounder Model 1898 Naval Deck Gun, manufactured by Driggs-Seabury Gun and Ammunition Co., New York, NY 1889, on display near the war memorials in downtown Peterborough.  The  QF 6 pounder Hotchkiss (called the Rapid Fire gun in the USA, rather than Quick Firer in the UK), is a light 2.244-inch (57-mm) 6-pounder naval gun and coast defence gun of the late 19th century that was used by many countries.


(PTCRAZY Photos)

Bronze 12-pounder Napoleon Model 1857 smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun-Howitzer, (Federal Gun with muzzle swell used in the Civil War), mounted on a wheeled gun carriage, located in the Town Common.


(Postcard, 1921)

(1929, Town of Plymouth Photo)

(1921, Town of Plymouth Photo)

Two bronze smoothbore muzzle-loading guns once stood on Burial Hill overlooking Cape Cod Bay in Plymouth.  A plaque on the site states: On the right is a “Minion” of the time of (Queen) Mary, 1554, with a rose and the letters M.R. (Maria Regina) and is inscribed “John and Thomas Mayo, Brethern, made this pece (sic) Anno Dni 1554.” On the left is a “Sakeret” of the time of (King) Edward VI with a shield and three lions passant inscribed "Tomas Owen made this pece for the ye’l of Carnse Vhan Ser Peter Mevtas vas Governor and Captayn, Anno Dni 1550.” They were transmitted through the Honorable Artillery Company of London, chartered 1537, and placed here by the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, chartered 1638 and dedicated 4 October 1921.

According to the Pilgrim Hall Museum staff, Pilgrim separatists brought the initial bronze guns to the New World to protect the colony.  They were positioned at the plantation’s fort on what is now Burial Hill.  Bronze guns like these were named by Bradford and Winslow in the annals of Plymouth as mounted on the first fort, 1621, and were still in use in 1645 when the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts under its Commander Major General Gibbons joined the Plymouth Company under the Command of Captain Myles Standish to fight against the Narrangansett Indians.  

In 1537, King Henry VIII created the Honourable Artillery Company through royal charter to help keep the peace.  It is the second oldest military corps in the world.  Then, in 1637, Massachusetts Bay Colony applied to England for a similar charter, and was granted it in 1638, when the charter was signed by Gov. John Winthrop.  These guns were eventually melted down and transformed into more useful tools during the Revolutionary War.

In 1920, Britain’s Honourable Artillery Company sent another set of bronze guns, a “saker” gun and a “minion” gun, to Plymouth as a gesture of friendship to honour the 300th anniversary of the landing of the Mayflower.  These pieces are from the collection in the British National Artillery Museum and were originally mounted in a castle on Guernsey, one of the islands in the English Channel, now known as a “self-governing British Crown dependency.” These two guns dated to the 16th century. In time, the saker was sent back to Guernsey, and its sister gun, the minion, remained behind in Plymouth.  These guns were the only ones of that period of English manufacture in the collection.  They were given “in consideration of the greatness of the occasion, the Tercentenary celebration of the landing of the Pilgrims, and the good will of the English nation, the government, on behalf of the British people have made this gift to the Town of Plymouth Massachusetts.

(Emily Clark Photo)

The bronze minion gun is currently preserved behind glass in the Pilgrim Hall Museum in Plymouth.  The minion was cast in 1545, and is embossed with a Tudor rose and the initials “MR” for Maria Regina, to honour Queen Mary.  There are plans for a second gun to be cast in London to commemorate Plymouth’s 400th Anniversary in 2020.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

Cast-iron 3-pounder smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun, weight 11-1-26 (1,286 lbs), broad arrow over King George III cypher, M No. 613 on the left trunnion, L12 on the right trunnion, Z, mounted on a wheeled gun carriage, standing in front of the courthouse.  This gun was captured from British General John Burgoyne's forces at the Battle of Bennington, near Vermont, during the Revolutionary War on 16 Aug 1777.  A rebel force of 2,000 men, primarily New Hampshire and Massachusetts militiamen, led by General John Stark, and reinforced by Vermont militiamen led by Colonel Seth Warner and members of the Green Mountain Boys, decisively defeated a detachment of General John Burgoyne's army led by Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Baum, and supported by additional men under Lieutenant Colonel Heinrich von Breymann.

Baum's detachment was a mixed force of 700 men composed primarily of Hessians, but also including small numbers of dismounted Brunswick dragoons, Canadians, Loyalists and Indians.   He was sent by Burgoyne to raid Bennington in the disputed New Hampshire Grants area for horses, draft animals, provisions, and other supplies.  Believing the town to be only lightly defended, Burgoyne and Baum were unaware that Stark and 1,500 militiamen were stationed there.  After a rain-caused standoff, Stark's men enveloped Baum's position, taking many prisoners, and killing Baum.  Reinforcements for both sides arrived as Stark and his men were mopping up, and the battle restarted, with Warner and Stark driving away Breymann's reinforcements with heavy casualties.

The battle was a major strategic success for the American cause and is considered part of the turning point of the Revolutionary War; it reduced Burgoyne's army in size by almost 1,000 men, led his Native-American support to largely abandon him, and deprived him of much-needed supplies, such as mounts for his cavalry regiments, draft animals and provisions, all factors that contributed to Burgoyne's eventual defeat at Saratoga.  The victory galvanized colonial support for the independence movement, and played a key role in bringing France into the war on the rebel side.  The battle's anniversary is celebrated in the state of Vermont as Bennington Battle Day.

(New York Public Library Digital Collection)

Print of the Battle of Bennington, Vermont, 1777.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

155-mm M114 Medium Towed Howitzer, NATO Stock No. (NSN) 1025-01-025-9857.  May 1986, Serial No. 1077.  Weight 12,700 lbs.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

3-inch Model 1861 Ordnance Rifle, mounted on a wheeled wooden carriage, TTSL Serial No. 69, P.I. Co., 1861, 819 lbs on the muzzle, standing in front of the war memorial on the Town Common, No. 1 of 2.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

3-inch Model 1861 Ordnance Rifle, mounted on a wheeled wooden carriage, JHVF Serial No. 688, P.I. Co., 1864, 816 lbs, on the muzzle, standing in front of the war memorial on the Town Common, No. 2 of 2.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

Cast-iron 3-pounder 3-cwt smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun, weight 3-1-9 (373 lbs), no other markings, mounted on a wheeled gun carriage, standing in front of the Police Station.

(Army Heritage and Education Center Photo)

8-mm Hotchkiss Model 1914 Machine Gun being operated on a range near Froissy, Oise, France, by a US Army Machine Gun Team from Company 1, 2nd Brigade, Machine Gun Battalion, 1st Division, 10  May 1918.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

8-mm Hotchkiss Model 1914 Machine Gun, mounted on tripod beside the war memorial.  The American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) in France purchased 7,000 Mle 1914 Hotchkiss machine guns in 8-mm Lebel, and used them extensively at the front in 1917 and 1918.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

3-inch/23 caliber Mk. XIV Naval Deck Gun, standing in a park near Parrot Ave on the edge of the South Mill Pond.

(USN Photo)

3-inch 23-caliber gun being fired from the deck of USN submarine chaser USS SC-291, ca 1920,

(Lawrence Mirsky Photos)

Cast-iron (possibly 3-pounder) smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun mounted barrel down as a bollard, downtown Portsmouth.  No. 1 of 2, both guns have a plaque stating "Taken from the British by Commodore Perry at the Battle of Lake Erie, 10 Sep 1812".

(Lawrence Mirsky Photo)

Cast-iron (possibly 3-pounder) smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun mounted barrel down as a bollard, downtown Portsmouth.  No. 2 of 2, both guns have a plaque stating "Taken from the British by Commodore Perry at the Battle of Lake Erie, 10 Sep 1812".

1st New Hampshire Heavy Artillery Volunteer Regiment

The First New Hampshire Heavy Artillery Regiment was  first raised in 1863 for the defenses of Portsmouth harbor in New hampshire and Maine during the Civil War.  The regiment was later transferred to garrison the numerous fortifications of Washington, DC.  

Lieutenant Colonel Charles H. Long was commissioned captain of the First Company NH Heavy Artillery Volunteers, ordered by the War Department for use in the defenses of Portsmouth harbor.  The men were mustered into service on 22 July 1863, and stationed at Fort Constitutionin New Castle.  On 17 September 1863, the Second Company was mustered in, and garrisoned at Fort McClary, Kittery Point, Maine.  They remained at these posts until the following spring when, on 6 May 1864, both companies were ordered to Washington, DC, for the defense of the capital, with detachments of them being spread between a dozen forts and batteries.   Shortly after this, a third company began recruiting in Manchester.

In August 1864, Ira McL. Barton, the captain of Company B, requested further recruits and, with authorization granted to organize a battalion-sized unit, he returned to New Hampshire to take part in the raising of an additional four companies.  Recruiting within the cities of Nashua, Concord, Laconia and Dover, the number of volunteers exceeded what was needed.  The state adjutant applied to the War Department for authority to continue the formation of companies, and by November 1864 nearly had the required number of men to be organized into a proper regiment.  To do so, the 1st New Hampshire Light Battery, which had just gone through its r-eenlistment following the end of a three-year term of service, became "Company M" of the 1st NH Heavy Artillery on 9 November.  However, they were soon detached and returned as light artillery in Hancock's II Corps.

As soon as each unit was organized, they were sent to Washington and assigned to different divisions, though seven companies remained together under Lt Col Barton in DeRussey's Division, 3rd Brigade.  Col Long was mustered in as the regiment's commander on 16 November and took command of the 1st Brigade, Hardin's Division, XXII Corps, on the 21st.  While Company A returned to Portsmouth Harbor in November 1864 and Company B did the same the following February, the remainder of the regiment stayed in the vicinity of Washington.  On 15 June 1865, the regiment was mustered out, arriving in New Hampshire on the 19th for final pay and discharge.  (Waite, Otis Frederick Reed (1870). New Hampshire in the Great Rebellion. Claremont, NH: Tracy,Chase & Co.)


IX-inch Dahlgren Shell Gun, No. 1 of 2, mounted on an iron stand in front of the Civil War Memorial.  One gun is mounted on an authentic iron Marsilly fighting carriage, the other on an iron replica stand.  (Charles W Canney Camp Photos)

IX-inch Dahlgren Shell Gun, No. 2 of 2, mounted on an iron stand in front of the Civil War Memorial.

Rye, Odiorne Point State Park, Fort Dearborn

Odiorne Point State Park is a New Hampshire state park located on the seacoast in Rye near Portsmouth.  The location of the first European settlement in New Hampshire, the point got its name from the Odiorne family, who settled on the land in the mid-1660s. Among the park's features are the Seacoast Science Center and the remains of the Second World War Fort Dearborn.

Prior to 1942, the site of the park was private, expensive oceanfront land.  In 1942, the site was condemned and purchased by the United States government for the construction of Fort Dearborn as part of an across-the-board modernization of US coast defences . In 1961 the site was ceded to the state of New Hampshire.

The fort was named for Henry Dearborn, a colonel in the Revolutionary War and later Commanding General of the United States Army and Secretary of War. The fort was part of the Harbour Defenses of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, along with Fort Stark, Fort Constitution, and Fort Foster.  In 1940-1944 the Harbor Defenses of Portsmouth were garrisoned by the 22nd Coast Artillery Regiment.  The first battery at Fort Dearborn was called Battery Dearborn, and consisted of four 155-mm towed guns on "Panama mounts", which were circular concrete platforms. The platforms remain today.

Fort Dearborn was primarily acquired to build a battery of two 16-inch (406-mm) Mark IIMI ex-Navy guns, heavily protected by concrete and earth casemates. This was completed and test-fired in June 1944, and eventually superseded all other heavy guns in the Harbor Defenses of Portsmouth. It was initially called Battery 103 and later named Battery Seaman in honour of Colonel Claudius M. Seaman.  The battery remains today. A companion battery, Battery 204, consisted of two 6-inch (152-mm) M1 guns in shielded barbette mounts with a large bunker between them containing magazines and fire control facilities.  This was also completed and test-fired in June 1944.  The battery is near the park entrance and parking lot, and today has several 16-inch shells displayed.  A similar 6-inch battery (Battery 205) was built at Fort Foster but not armed.  Near Fort Dearborn at Pulpit Rock, short-range defence was provided by Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Battery (AMTB) 951, consisting of four 90-mm M1A2 anti-aircraft guns, two on fixed mounts and two on towed mounts. A similar 90-mm M1A2 anti-aircraft gun battery, AMTB 952, was built at Fort Foster, and AMTB 953 was planned for Fort Stark but never built.  In 1948 Fort Dearborn was deactivated and all guns were scrapped. (Wikipedia).

Rye Air Force Station. Part of Fort Dearborn was used as a radar station by the United States Air Force beginning in 1949, and in 1955 this became the Rye Air Force Station. This was an Air Defense Command radar site that also supported the nearby Pease Air Force Base of the Strategic Air Command. In 1957-59 Rye AFS was deactivated, but unmanned "gap filler" radar remained active until 1968. Nothing remains of the Air Force installation. (Wikipedia).


(Lawrence Mirsky Photo)

1-pounder 37-mm Mk A Model 1 (1-Pdr MA/M1) semi-automatic light Gun mounted on a wheeled carriage with gun shield, one of two in a park (the town common) at the corner of Bridge & Main streets.  Possibly made by the Bethlehem Steel Company, these field pieces were initially designed as a landing light gun for the French Army in 1916.  Both the French and American versions were used as an infantry gun by the US troops on the western front in 1918.  The shells for this gun had a range of 3750 metres.(12,303 feet).  (Canon de 37mm SA - Nr. unknown)

(Lawrence Mirsky Photo)

(Lawrence Mirsky Photo)

37-mm Gun mounted on a wheeled carriage with gun shield, second of two in a park (the town common) at the corner of Bridge & Main streets.  Salem, New Hampshire lies roughly ten km (6.2 miles) to the west of Haverhill, Massachusetts, the former home of  Sergeant Elijah Estabrooks of the Massachuchetts Provincials (and one of the author's ancestors who came to Canada in 1760.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

Replica 2-pounder smoothbore muzzle-loading Gun, weight 2-3-16 (324 lbs), with imitation King George cycpher and L cypher on the barrel, mounted on a wheeled wood carriage.  Located in front of the old Sandown Depot Railroad Museum.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

75-mm M2, M3 pack howitzer, located on Walton Road.  The markings may indicate this pack howitzer came out of an M8 motor gun carriage.  M2 and M3 models were for vehicle use.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

USN 3-inch/50Caliber AA Deck Gun, Mk. 22, located on Mills Falls Road.


Bronze 6-pounder Model 1841 smoothbore muzzle-loading Field Gun, Cyrus Alger & Company, Serial No. TBC.

(Vic E Photo)

M5 High Speed Tractor.  Similar to this one on display at Fort Lewis, Washington.

(Author Photo)

M29C Weasel.  Similar to this one on display at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas.


(Nelson Lawry Photos)

3-pounder Maxim Semi Automatic Quick Firing Gun, central green.

Weirs Beach

(NHVA Photo)

Bronze 6-pounder Model 1841 smoothbore muzzle-loading Field Gun, Cyrus Alger & Company, Serial No. 305, dated 1847, No. 1 of 2.   This gun was previously on display on the lawn of the NHVA headquarters.

Bronze 6-pounder Model 1841 smoothbore muzzle-loading Field Gun, Cyrus Alger & Company, Serial No. TBC, dated 1805, No. 2 of 2.


(Allen Tanner Photos)

57-mm M1 Anti-tank Gun, No. 6672, 1942, weight 752 lbs, Wright Museum of WWII History.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

57-mm M1 Anti-tank Gun, No. 2805, 1942, weight 752 lbs, on display at the American Legion Post.

(Author Photo)

M16 Half-track, GMC (Serial No. RN 4050418).  Similar to this one on display at the 3rd Cavalry Museum, Fort Hood, Texas.

(Author Photo)

M20 Light Armoured Car (Serial No. 2446), private owner.  Similar to this M20 on display at the New Orleans National Guard Museum in Louisiana.

(Mark Holloway Photo)

M32B3 Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARV), (Serial No. 11619).  Similar to this one on display at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

(Allen Tanner Photos)

M3A1 Stuart Light tank crashing out of the front of the Wright Museum of WWII History, No. 1 of 2.

M3A1 Stuart Light tank, No. 2 of 2, Wright Museum of WWII History.

 ( Photo)

M4A1(76) HVSS Sherman Tank (Serial No. 68264), RN 30161945.  Similar to this one preserved in France.

(Author Photo)

T26E Pershiing Tank (Serial No. 35).  Similar to this M26 Pershing Tank on display at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas

Other articles in category