Germany: Luftwaffe Warplanes, 1939-1945: Junkers

German warplanes of the Second World War: Junkers

Deutsche Flugzeuge aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg: Junkers

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document Warplanes from the Second World War that have been preserved.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website.  Photos are as credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplane Survivors of the Second World War would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Ziel dieser Website ist es, erhaltene Kampfflugzeuge aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg zu lokalisieren, zu identifizieren und zu dokumentieren. Viele Mitwirkende haben bei der Suche nach diesen Flugzeugen mitgewirkt, um die Daten auf dieser Website.bereitzustellen und zu aktualisieren. Fotos gelten als gutgeschrieben. Alle hier gefundenen Fehler sind vom Autor und Ergänzungen, Korrekturen oder Ergänzungen zu dieser Liste der Überlebenden des Zweiten Weltkriegs sind sehr willkommen und können per E-Mail an den Autor unter hskaarup@rogers.com gesendet werden.

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber KGrzbV400, (H4+CH), ex-1.LLG1 ferrying supplies to North Africa 1942.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bombers.  (Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-317-0053-18)

Junkers Ju 52 Tante Ju, transport bomber, floatplane.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

 (Ra Boe Photo)

Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), D-AZAW, Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin.  (Leif Orss Photo)

Junkers Ju 52/3m, (Wk. Nr. unknown), built in 1936, initially registered as D-AQUI, later D-CDLH until 1984, known as "Iron Annie N52JU", re-painted as D-AQUI in historic 1936 colours as "Queen of the Skies",  Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung's fleet.  From 1932, the Junkers works and various licensees built almost 5000 airplanes that were to serve 30 airlines in 25 countries across the globe.  Built at the Junkers works in Dessau, this Ju 52 embarked on her maiden flight in 1936.  Initially in service with Lufthansa, she then spent almost 20 years alternating between Germany and Norway.  1955 saw her taken out of service in Norway.  Too large for a museum in Oslo, she was sold to South America where she was flown in Ecuador from 1957 to 1963.  Retired at Quito Airport, she was exposed to the elements, until an American flying enthusiast rescued her in 1969. Later on, spectators were able to admire "Aunt Ju", now known as "Iron Annie", at air shows across the States before it was purchased by Lufthansa in 1984 and painstakingly restored.  D-CDLH has P&W engines with three-bladed propellers.  (Lufthansa Photo)

Junkers Ju 86K-4 Fv 155, (Wk. Nr. 0860412), bomber reconnaissance, Swedish Air Force B3, preserved in the Flygvapenmuseum Malmen, Swedish Air Force Museum, Linkoping, Sweden.  (Towpilot Photo)

Junkers Ju 86 in Luftwaffe service.  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 87 Stuka

Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive-bomber, coded S7+EP, captured in North Africa, 1943.  (USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 87 Stuka factory.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) painted as W8+A, on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford in 1970.  This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945.  No Air Ministry number was allocated.   (RuthAS Photo)

Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka, (Wk. Nr. 494083) on display in the RAF Museum, Cosford, painted as +JK.  This aircraft was captured at Eggebek in Schleswig-Hostein, Germany in May 1945.  No Air Ministry number was allocated.  (Kogo Photos)

The Junkers Ju 87 Stuka, dive-bomber displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945  It is thought to have been built in 1943–1944 as a D-5 before being rebuilt as a G-2 variant, possibly by fitting G-2 outer wings to a D-5 airframe.  After the war, it was one of 12 captured German aircraft selected by the British for museum preservation.  In 1967, permission was given to use the aircraft in the film Battle of Britain and it was repainted and modified to resemble a 1940 variant of the Ju 87.  The engine was found to be in excellent condition and there was little difficulty in starting it, but returning the aircraft to airworthiness was considered too costly for the filmmakers, and ultimately, models were used in the film to represent Stukas.  In 1998, the film modifications were removed, and the aircraft returned to the original G-2 configuration.  This aircraft has also been reported as Junkers Ju 87B, (Wk. Nr. 5763), RAF HK827.  Junkers Ju 87B-1, (Wk. Nr. 087/5600), S2+LM from II./StG77 was reported as being on the scrap area at Farnborough in Dec 1946.

Captured Junkers Ju 87G with flame concealing exhaust, 3.7mm cannon, Salzburg, Austria, 1945.  (USAAF Photo)

(ox6adb015 Photo)

Junkers Ju 87R2/Trop Stuka, dive-bomber, (Wk. Nr. 5954), on display in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, Illinois.  This aircraft was abandoned in North Africa and found by British forces in 1941.  The Ju 87 was donated by the British government and sent to the USA during the war.  It was fully restored in 1974 by the EAA of Wisconsin.

Junkers Ju 87D-5 (Wk. Nr. 131587), coded Q9+CH, restoration project with the Hudson, Massachusetts-based American Heritage Museum. Flying with Luftflotte 5, 1 Staffel, Schlachtgeschwader 5, this Stuka ran short of fuel and landed on a frozen lake near Kemjarvi, Finalnd on 4 April 1944. The detonated a grenade in the cockpit to disable the aircraft, which later sank through the ice. It was recovered in 2021.

Junkers Ju 88, coded 3Z+H, in Luftwaffe service.  (Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-417-1766-03A)

Junkers Ju 88A-5, (Wk. Nr. 3457), 4D+DL, from I./KG30,  This aircraft landed in error at RAF Lulsgate Bottom on 23 July 1941.  Designated RAF EE205, it was scrapped in early 1948.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3.  Originally built as a Ju 88A-1 bomber in 1942, it was converted to R-1 standard early in 1943 for the night fighter role.  In May 1943, a three-man crew was ordered to intercept an unarmed BOAC Mosquito courier flight from Leuchars, Scotland flying to Stockholm, Sweden.  Two hours after their take-off, the aircrew of this aircraft defected to England, sending a fake message to their home base that they had a fire in the starboard engine.  The bomber descended to sea level and dropped three life rafts to make the search parties think the aircraft had ditched at sea.  The crew then few on to Scotland.  The aircraft was a significant acquisition for the RAF as this aircraft was fitted with the most up to date FuG 202 Lichtenstein B/C radar installation.  This aircraft was designated RAF PJ876 and underwent trials with the RAF Wireless and Electrical Flight section of No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight.  It was acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88R-1, (Wk. Nr. 360043), D5+EV from IV./NJG3.  Acquired by the RAF Museum in 1978.  The antenna of the on this aircraft are replicas, as the entire radar system was removed from the aircraft for evaluation during the war.  It had been preserved in the Royal Air Force Museum Hendon, London, but is currently located at Cosford while the Hendon location is being upgraded.   (Dapi89 Photo)

Junkers Ju 88G-1, (Wk. Nr. 712273), 4R+UR from III./NJG2, landed in error at RAF Woodbridge when it became lost on a flight and ran out of fuel on 13 July 1944.  This aircraft was equipped with FuG220, FuG227 and FuG350 radars, making it an important intelligence find.  Designated RAF TP190, later AM231, this aircraft was flown 33 flights before it was scrapped at Farnborough after Oct 1945.  (RAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620838) was captured at Flensburg.  Designated RAF AM3, later VK884, this aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough in 1945.  (RAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 622311) captured at Eggebek.  Designated RAF AM16.  This aircraft was scrapped in 1946.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 623193), with FuG 240 Berlin cavity magnetron radar in the nose, captured at Grove, Denmark in may 1945.  This aircraft was designated RAF AM31, and is shown here at Farnborough in 1945.  It was scrapped at Skellingthorpe in 1947.  (RAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 88A-4, (Wk. Nr. 4300227), captured at Foggia, Italy, in 1943.  It was repaired by the men of the 86th Fighter Squadron and flown from Italy to Wright Field on 5 Nov 1943 by 86th Fighter Squadron Comanche pilots.  USA FE-106, later FE-1599.  It appeared in war bond drives, and was finally returned to Wright Field in the summer of 1945 after being superficially damaged in Los Angeles.  It finally went to Freeman Field, Indiana, where it was used for spare parts until it was scrapped in 1946.  (USAAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 88G-6, (Wk. Nr. 620116), NJG3, designated RAF USA 21, transferred by the British to the USA.  Shipped to the USA it was designated USA FE-611, later T2-611.  This aircraft was scrapped at Freeman Field, Indiana in 1946.  (Edgar Deigan Photos)

Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650), USA FE-1598, with Fritz X bomb, preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.  (Goshimini Photo)

Junkers Ju 88D-1/Trop, (Wk. Nr. 430650) initially came to the RAF via a defecting Romanian pilot who landed in Cyprus on 22 July 1943.  RAF HK959 was flown to Egypt and transferred to the USAAF and flown to Wright Field,  over the South Atlantic route on 14 Oct 1943.  This aircraft was designated USA FE-105 and later FE-1598, and briefly USAAF (Serial No. 43-0650).  This aircraft is now preserved in the National Museum of the USAF, Dayton, Ohio.  (USAAF Photos)

USS Savannah (CL-42), hit by a German Fritz X guided bomb off the coast of Salerno, Italy on 11 Sep 1943.  (USN Photo)

Junkers Ju 89, Ural Bomber design competitor (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 90, bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 187, dive bomber (prototype)

Junkers Ju 188E-1.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 188 and Bf 109, captured near Erfurt, Germany in May 1945.  A total of 110 Ju 188s were collected by the RAF, with 51 found in Germany, 19 in Denmark and 40 in Norway.  106 were destroyed and four were sent to England.   (Luftwaffe Photo)

Junkers Ju 287, heavy jet bomber (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)

Elements of the Ju 287 prototype were captured by the Soviet Union and a number of their aviation technicians were tasked to  develop this aircraft from designs which included  Ju 131 and 132 bombers, Ju 126 ground-attack aircraft (in documents they often were designated EF-131, EF-132, and EF-126, from Entwicklungs Flugzeug-"Experimental Aircraft"), Jumo 004 and Jumo 01 jet engines, and the Jumo 224 aircraft diesel engine. To fulfill these tasks, two large sections were set up at OKB-1-aircraft and engine. The aircraft section comprised 433 employees, including 276 designers and 157 people working in scientific research laboratories. There were 402 specialists in the engine section, 235 at the design bureau, and 167 at scientific research laboratories. In all, 2992 employees worked at the Dessau plant in May 1946, including 20 representatives of the USSR Ministry of the Aviation Industry.   The unfinished Ju 287V-2 also became the foundation for the EF-131 prototype jet bomber.  Since no drawings or test materials were found in Dessau, all the documentation had to be reconstituted.  This delayed production somewhat but by January 1946 preparations for the assembly of a prototype example began.  Some components (wing sections, in particular) were taken from the original Ju-287V-2 but most had to be redone.  The work was labour intensive and therefore the decision was made to stop after the manufacture of three examples: two (V-l, V-3) for flight testing and one (V-2) for strength tests.  In May wind tunnel tests of the airplane model began.  Simultaneously, the operation of the power plant was tested on a specially made bench.  By August 1946 the first EF-131 (V-l) was ready.

Development of the EF-140 began in 1947 as Baade's initiative and, after a mockup was inspected in 1948, the government approved the work.  The second EF-131 flying prototype was used in building the aircraft and it sped up manufacturing. In September 1948 the machine was completely ready to fly.  On 5 October during the second flight, some defects in engine operation were discovered.  The so-called "automatic fuel flow meter" mounted on the AM-TKRD-01 engine was unsatisfactory and it proved very difficult to control engine thrust manually.  The engine was spontaneously changing rpm and the aircraft jerked and rocked in flight.  After the seventh sortie, flight-testing had to be stopped.   In 1949 the engines were replaced and flights went on.  On 24 May plant testing was completed.  The aircraft reached a speed of 904 km/h and range of 2000 km.  For some reason (possibly in connection with successful testing of the Tu-14 tactical bomber), no official testing of the EF-140 was conducted.  Instead, in May 1948 OKB-1 was tasked to convert the plane into a long-range reconnaissance aircraft.  This version was designated "140-R".

To obtain the required range (3600 km) and altitude (14,100 m), the aircraft was fitted with new more fuel-efficient VK-1 engines that V. Ya. Klimov designed (a modification of British Nene-1 turbojet engine).  In addition, the wingspan was increased from 19.4 to 21.9 m and external fuel tanks were mounted on the wing tips, thus increasing total fuel capacity to 14,000 liters.  The aircraft was armed with two remotely operated gun turrets with 23mm paired cannon.  Targeting was carried out with the aid of periscope gun sights and the gun turrets were electrically operated.  In case the upper gunner was killed or wounded, his turret could be connected with the lower turret gun sight and fire control system.  The "140-R" was fitted with equipment for performing day and night reconnaissance (photo cameras, illuminating bombs, and so on) placed in the forward part of the cargo bay and aft fuselage.

The first flight of the "140-R" was made on 12 October 1949.  On 20 October the aircraft took off for the second time. Both flights were interrupted due to excessive wing vibration and the aircraft was returned to the plant.  Test flights resumed the next spring, after structural changes were made.  The testing was stopped after the second flight on 24 March because the wing buffeting continued. TsAGI specialists were brought in to solve the problem.  It was assumed that the flutter was caused by the wing-tip fuel tanks.  On 18 July 1950 all work on the 140-R aircraft was stopped by government decree.   The same decree canceled testing of the "140-B/R" variant that could be employed both as a reconnaissance aircraft and bomber. Baade's OKB had been tasked with developing it in August 1948.   The aircraft differed from the "140-R" mainly in its having a different "filling". The fire control system was improved and the crew reduced to three.  The plane was estimated to have a range of 3000 km, maximum speed of 866 km/h, ceiling of 12,000 m with a bomb load of 1500 kg, and a fuel capacity of 9400 liters.  By the time the decree was issued, the aircraft had been built and partially ground tested.  That was the last aircraft with a sweepforward wing in the USSR.  After unsuccessful testing of the "140-R" reconnaissance aircraft, TsAGI specialists concluded that it was undesirable to use such a wing in aircraft manufacturing.  Internet: http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ru/ju287.shtml.

Junkers Ju 288, Bomber B design competitor (prototype).  (Luftwaffe Photos)  

Junkers Ju 290, Salzburg, Austria.  (USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 290A-4, (Wk. Nr. 110196), originally coded A3+HB of Kampfgeschwader 200 (KG 200), captured at Munich-Riem on 6 May 1945.  Designated RAF USA 022, this aircraft was amed "Alles Kaput", and re-numbered USA FE-3400.  It was flown across the Atlantic to Wright Field, Ohio, where it was scrapped in Dec 1946.  (USAAF Photos)

Junkers EF 132, heavy bomber (project)

Junkers Ju 252, transport (prototype)

Junkers Ju 322 Mammut, transport glider (prototype)

Junkers Ju 352A-0 Herkules, transport, (Wk. Nr. 100010) coded KT+VJ, of V/Transportgeschwader 4, RAF AM8 and later VP550.  This aircraft was scrapped at Farnborough after 1946.   (RAF Photos)

Junkers W34, single engine transport.

Junkers Ju 388J-1 reconnaissance/night fighter.  (Luftwaffe Photo)

(USAAF Photo)

Junkers Ju 388L-1 Störtebeker, (Wk. Nr. 560049), USA FE-4010, later T2-4010, at Freeman Field, Indiana, post war.  This aircraft is currently stored in the Paul E. Garber Facility, Suitland, Maryland.  (USAAF Photos)

Junkers Ju 388L-1, (Wk. Nr. 560049), FE-410, later T2-4010, Wright Field, 1946 victory display.  The Ju 388 was introduced very late in the war, and production problems along with the deteriorating war conditions meant that only a few were built.  (San Diego Air & Space Museum Photo)

Junkers Ju 390 Amerika Bomber, heavy bomber (prototype) in Luftwaffe service.   (Luftwaffe Photos)

Junkers Ju 488, heavy bomber (project).

If you found this valuable, consider supporting the author.