M8 Greyhound light armoured car
The M8 light armored car is a 6×6 armoured car that was produced by the Ford Motor Company during the Second World War. It was is service with Canadian, British and American from 1943 until the end of the war.
In British service, the M8 was known as the "Greyhound", a nickname seldom, if ever, used by the US. The British Army found it too lightly armored, particularly the hull floor, which anti-tank mines could easily penetrate (the crews' solution was lining the floor of the crew compartment with sandbags). Nevertheless, it was produced in large numbers. The M8 Greyhound's excellent on-road mobility made it a great supportive element in the advancing American and British armored columns. It was marginal off-road, especially in mud.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3524763)
M8 Greyhound passing in review with General Crerar, GOC in C, 1st Canadian Army Corps, taking the salute from the 5 Canadian Armoured Division. Eelde airport, Netherlands, 23 May 1945.
(Canadian Army Photo via Al Magnus)
Canadian M8 Greyhound with the Headquarters Squadron of the Royal Canadian Dragoons in Leeuwarden, Holland, March 1945.
(Library and Archives Canada Photo)
Brigadier Rockingham's M8 Greyhound Command Post in Korea, c1951-1952.
(Andre Blanchard Photo)
M8 Greyhound Light Armoured Car (Serial No. F268708). Inside the Ontario Regiment Museum hangar, Oshawa, Ontario