Canadian Warplanes 9: Schweizer TG-3A-SW glider
The TG-3A was a two-place, dual-control glider manufactured primarily for the U.S. Army Air Forces by the Schweizer Aircraft Co. during World War II. In 1942 the USAAF evaluated a prototype derived from the Schweizer SGS 2-12 high performance sailplane. After testing three XTG-3s, the AAF ordered 110 TG-3As from Schweizer (50 more were ordered from Air Glider but only one was built). Student glider pilots normally received about six hours dual instruction in the TG-3As before being trained in the larger CG-4A cargo glider. The TG-3As wings were made of spruce and mahogany plywood covered with fabric. It was equipped with spoilers (used to increase descent rate) as well as ailerons. The fuselage was constructed of welded chrome-molybdenum steel tubing which was also fabric covered. The landing gear was a single unsprung wheel with a disc brake. In addition, there were skids on the nose, tail and wing tips.
The RCN acquired two of these gliders in the immediate post-war period but details of their use and fate are not available.
Schweizer TG-3A-SW (Serial No. 4253119), transferred to RCN shortly after coming on RCAF books. Used for glider training at Dartmouth, NS, often towed aloft by an Army truck. Tow cable broke in summer of 1949, wrapped around glider, leading to a crash. Struck off without being repaired.
Schweizer TG-3A-SW (Serial No. 4253113), Appears to be a paper transfer of an aircraft stored in Canada at the end of the war. No record of any use by any Canadian units. Free Issue to the RN in 1946.
Schweizer TG-3A Glider (Serial No. 42-52988). The TG-3A on display in the NMUSAF was donated by Henry A. Shevchuk. It was restored by the Spartan School of Aeronautics, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and delivered to the museum in December 1980.
(Skytamer.com, John Shupek Photo)
Schweizer TG-3A Glider (Serial No. 18).